drastic weight loss, yes or no?

Posted by: Sai_the_Shinobi

drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/11/05 11:51 AM

hello everyone,
I just had a question about weight loss/muscle gain. Im about 6'1 - 6'2 and at last weigh in 308, and trust when I say i kinda let myself go(I blame it on skool,lol) 2-3 months before I was about 250 n some change, now what I want to know is now that I have almost a month off would it be bad if I strove to get rid of the 50 something odd pounds within this time period. I know drastc weight loss within a short period of time isnt always the best, but can I sorta null that bad effect if I take vitamins and have a proper diet. I mean, I have a gym card so if I wanted to I could spend about an hr and a half to 2 hrs if I have to, maybe even more if I could take it..... well my question really is, would this be safe and how would I go about doing this if I have to, I really want to start training n the martial arts and feel that extra unnecessary fat is a burden and detrimental to my training, thanks again to all who read and post
Posted by: MattJ

Re: drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/11/05 05:58 PM

Drastic, quick weight loss is almost always a bad idea. Unless you are under strict medical supervision, you will likely cause more problems than you are trying to solve.

Think of weight loss as a lifestyle change, not a goal to be met (and possibly abandoned). Gradually begin increasing the amount of calorie burning excersize and decrease the amount of calories you eat.

If you do this in a reasonable fashion, it will be much less stressful on you - mentally and physically. Give yourself time to adjust to your new lifestyle, and you can maintain it for a very long time.
Posted by: Ichigo

Re: drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/12/05 12:17 AM

um, you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but within 1 month, there's no way you can lose "50 something odd pounds" without putting incredible stress on your body.

With that out of the way, I would say developing a well-balanced diet is the way to go. In addition, you could look up HIIT for speeding up your metabolism.

here's a related topic (http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15799040/an/0/page/0#15799040)

best of luck
-Jeff
Posted by: don_juan

Re: drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/12/05 07:34 PM

weight loss in my eyes not a good thing, it makes your body tired most of time. i just found out today in high school wrestling that you cant run with jackets or sweetshirts to get some pounds off but if you wanted to try that. When my dad wrestled he ate ice cubes which i dont know if it is a good idea. well when you hungy and you dont want to eat something heavy i guess ice would be an idea. Well thats all the info i have about losing weight so hope it works for you.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/16/05 05:14 PM

You shouldn't need to do anything drastic. Just diet and excercize, that's it. What is good diet and excercize? Don't ask us, ask your doctor. Or Google it!
Posted by: Cord

Re: drastic weight loss, yes or no? - 12/17/05 12:56 PM

Quote:

hello everyone,
I just had a question about weight loss/muscle gain. Im about 6'1 - 6'2 and at last weigh in 308, and trust when I say i kinda let myself go(I blame it on skool,lol) 2-3 months before I was about 250 n some change, now what I want to know is now that I have almost a month off would it be bad if I strove to get rid of the 50 something odd pounds within this time period. I know drastc weight loss within a short period of time isnt always the best, but can I sorta null that bad effect if I take vitamins and have a proper diet. I mean, I have a gym card so if I wanted to I could spend about an hr and a half to 2 hrs if I have to, maybe even more if I could take it..... well my question really is, would this be safe and how would I go about doing this if I have to, I really want to start training n the martial arts and feel that extra unnecessary fat is a burden and detrimental to my training, thanks again to all who read and post

Address the problems/lifestyle at school that led to the weight gain in the first place. Even if you managed to lose lots of the fat in your month off, you would then go back to school, and back to square one. Today is the start of a steady journey back into shape, keep active, eat well, and maintain this for the rest of your life, the weight will come off steadily over the next 6 months or so. Take up martial arts now, the extra activity will only help.
Life isnt about quick fixes, its about coming up with ways to achieve our goals despite what life throws at us, school included.