Posted by: Belnick

grapes ? - 11/24/05 08:55 AM

healhty ?

I eat alot of grapes nowdays and I want to know how healthy grapes are

by alot I mean around a kilo pertime

like watching a movie, one kilo of grapes(seedless) and a pear

Posted by: Chanters

Re: grapes ? - 11/24/05 10:17 AM

Grapes are healthy but remember you should always try to eat in moderation...that goes for everything.

A few years ago my dad was diagnosed with diabetes and he was taken through a dietary programme where if he was to have grapes he should only have a maximum of 10 per day. So I presume that grapes contain high levels of natural sugars.

Here's some information I found from a site:
Grapes are rich in anthocyanins, flavones, geraniol, linalol, nerol and tannins. Experts believe these compounds protect against cancer. In addition, red grapes contain resveratrol which is believed to help reduce cholesterol and protect the heart. Grapes also contain some potassium. Grapes are also beneficial for cleansing and detoxing the system.

Grapes also contain a good amount of manganese! 1 cup of grapes =114 calories.

Overall grapes are a good snacking food but again, like I said before, in moderate consumption.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: grapes ? - 11/24/05 10:28 AM

Grapes are pretty healthy overall; high anti-oxidant content, and a fairly medium GI index at around 43.

You could do a LOT worse for a snack food.

I did read something a while back about eating grapes prior to workouts---why you shouldn't. Can't remember the reason why, but it had something to do with digestion.
Posted by: Cord

Re: grapes ? - 11/24/05 06:02 PM

The particular sugar balance in grapes, makes grape juice the most effective thing to mix creatine monohydrate with, as it provides the best insulin 'spike'.

Do not feed grapes/raisins to dogs as they can be poisonous to them.

2 pieces of almost relevant trivia about the humble grape.

1 kilo per sitting? Belnick, you must be a 'regular guy'
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: grapes ? - 11/25/05 12:10 AM

That's a good point, Cord. I remember when creatine came out, and how grape juice was thee mix, due to the high GI.

I used to buy pure grape juice by the gallon

Funny how whole grapes sit at a medium GI.
Posted by: Alicia

Re: grapes ? - 11/25/05 12:38 AM

I googled some technical info on grapes, but it's probably not what you're looking for:

http://www.thefruitpages.com/chartgrapes.shtml
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: grapes ? - 11/25/05 12:46 AM

a kilo at a time is alot of anything!

9 pears in an hour! I will never punch Belnick in the gut!

Seriously Bel. eat the grapes, the red ones, but just not so much in a sitting!

Page
Posted by: Belnick

Re: grapes ? - 11/25/05 06:17 AM

guess I have to trim down on the grapes then

[You should also trim down on the pointless and inappropriate chatter. No one cares if you have the runs or if your dog likes fruit. See you in an hour]