strange diet.

Posted by: cobra

strange diet. - 11/13/05 11:54 PM

my girlfriend mentioned to me that she eats cereal for breakfast, then a regular meal for lunch, then cereal again for supper. She says, and so it appears to that she looses weight quickly like that. i don't know if it's just her body, or if it would actualy be some sort of good diet because i guess of the great amount of fiber from cereal. i dunno i'm no good when it comes to nutrition. what do you think ?
Posted by: Cord

Re: strange diet. - 11/14/05 12:52 PM

Sounds fine. Given that 'breakfast cereal' (not coco pops or graham crackers, but good unsweetened stuff like muesli, weetabix, shredded wheat etc), are low in fat and salt, fortified with vitamins and minerals, also full of complex carbs and the milk that goes with them contains good quality protein; I would say it makes a splendid meal anytime of the day. I rely heavily on cereals in my daily food intake and have had nothing bu good results from doing so. Far preferable health wise than a pizza, burger or other such product that many equate with an evening meal.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: strange diet. - 11/15/05 08:59 AM

But he mentions his girlfriend has cereal for two out of her three meals a day. How can that be good? I don't think you would get as much nutrients than if you cooked a well balanced healthy meal. To sustain that type of diet for along period of time isn't very good. Unless her proper meal of the day is a large one containing plenty of ruffage, protein, carbs and the 5 portions of veg RDA, wouldn't she possibly lacking in certain amount of nutrients?

One of my work colleagues went on one of those kelloggs 'Drop A Jean Size' diet so she would lose weight. She had Special K twice a day for 2 weeks, lost a small amount of weight but within the next 2 weeks put it back on. Not to say I was surprised though. Furthermore Special K which is promoted as a slimming product contains the same calories as Cornflakes and double the sugar!

Cobra, I'd say beware of cereals claiming how healthy they are and get your girlfriend to carefully read the nutritional info on the pack. I wouldn't recommend staying on that kind of diet for a long period of time.
Posted by: Cord

Re: strange diet. - 11/15/05 11:58 AM

Well, like I said, providing the cereal in question is not a novelty/kids cereal I dont really see the problem. It could be better, everyones diet could be better balanced, but as a convenient and quick meal, cereal is a good choice- far better than a drive thru, and not nutritionaly inferior to any number of home prepared meals could be. It jars our perceptions because we think of such foods as breakfast.Now Follow this logic through, if breakfast is the most important meal of the day, your nutritional foundation for all your activities ahead, then why would a nutritionaly poor food have become so integral to that meal?

A traditional English breakfast is sold as a 'mixed grill' on evening menus around the world. American breakfasts of donuts and pancakes are pudding for an evening meal in Britain. The time the food is eaten does not improve or worsen the nutritional content of the ingredients.
Posted by: NEAS

Re: strange diet. - 11/15/05 08:42 PM

Hi These are only suggestions. Cereal is ok. If a person is looking to lose weight then try to buy natural products like fruit veg etc. Stay away from red meat and sweets. Use white meat fish etc, Ice cream is ok in small amounts. keep training and keep to the eating habit. In general so called weight lost diats wont work because its hard to stay on them forever. Fat loss as opposed to weight loss through muscle loss takes time. The more I run/train the more fat I lose providing my food intake is correct.
Posted by: cobra

Re: strange diet. - 11/15/05 10:17 PM

hhmm. that's true about not getting all the proper nutrients. so i guess it wouldn't be so smart. well i was just curious. thanks for all replies. oh by the way, what do you guys know on the amount of mercury that is in fish. i heard that fish contains mercury, not enough in one fish to harm you, but what if it was to build up in your body ? what you all think ? could it build up and harm you. or provided enough exercise think you could some how loose the mercury in you, by maybe sweating or something ?