I need to lose 55 pounds

Posted by: mshou112

I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 10:10 PM

i am 15 years old and i am 200 pounds, i am also 5' 8" and i have a little bit of muscle and i need to lose 55 pounds by january so i came up with a diet, but some of my freinds told me its not healthy so i was wondering what you think. 4 cans of tuna a day, 2 apples, 2 eggs, 2 slices of bread, and onion, 1 bananna a day; about 973 calories a day, then run 3 miles and swim for an hour and burn about 300 calories a day
Posted by: BrianS

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 10:15 PM

HI! I'm the resident smart alec for the day!! Someone who knows what they're talking about will come along soon and help you. Until then, be entertained by my witty self depreciating response.
To lose fifty five pounds instantly cut off one leg and one arm. I was once on a diet,but I wasn't getting enough to eat so I went on two diets......da da..dum... bing!!

Seriously though,I think that's too much weight loss in such a short time!! Why the hurry?

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 10:17 PM

i need to join the wrestling team
Posted by: BrianS

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 10:23 PM

I still think that's too soon,but I could be wrong. It's only two months away!! 55lbs!! That's a seven year old for pete's sake!!
I'm sure you WANT to join the wrestling team,but need?
You're only 15! How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? Have you participated in athletics before?

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 10:27 PM

i am 200 pounds, i am also 5' 8" and i have a little bit of muscle i play tennis and i also swim the 200 on the swim team and i swim a 50 in 35.6 seconds so i am pretty athletic but i am fat
Posted by: laf7773

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 11:17 PM

Let me explain a little of the basics to you. Everyone has a resting metabolic rate (RMR). Your RMR is the MINIMUM number of calories your body needs to perform it's basic functions, like pumping blood and breathing. Then there is your daily caloric needs, this is the number of calories your body needs to maintain it's current weight and is based on your activity level. A good rule of thumb when trying to loose or gain weight is to add or subtract 60% of the difference in your RMR and daily caloric needs to your daily caloric needs. This will safely increase or decrease your weight. I'll take your stats you provided and give you an example.

Male/15yo/200lbs/5'8"

RMR = 2079

daily caloric needs = 3534

3534 - 2079 = 1445

60% of 1445 = 873

3534 - 873 = 2661 loose weight 3534 + 873 = 4407 gain weight

2661 is about the number of calories you need to take in at your activity level to safely loose weight. Basically your RMR, the number of calories you NEED in order to live, is 2079. Your diet will do much more harm than good. Is it going to kill you? No. Will it damage your health? Definitely. Your body will pull the nutrients it needs from other sources such as fat but it will also pull them from your lean muscle.

You can NOT safely loose 55lbs in a month or even in 2 months.

Even if you lost the 55lbs by January your not going to be in good enough health to actually make the wrestling team so it's pointless. Follow a proper diet, get plenty of exercise and try out for the team next year.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 11:30 PM

Sorry to sidetrack, but is there a source to find those calculations for RMR and caloric needs, laf?

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 11:53 PM

can i still go with my diet tho but add like some chicken in it ; is anything gonn happen if i have 4 cans of tuna a day?

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/06/05 11:55 PM

There are a few out there but most are on pay sites or will kill you with pop ups trying to sell you supplements. There are some free sites out there. I usually direct people to 24HR fitness to use theirs. I actually use a set of calculators i got at work.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fitness/fit_calc/

There are 4 calculators here. BMI, RMR, daily caloric needs and a burn calculator.

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 12:05 AM

My advice to you is to eat three normal healthy meals a day with two healthy snacks in between. Try to keep them separated by about 3 hours and keep to your calorie count. This would be breakfast {3hrs}snack{3hrs}lunch{3hrs}snack{3hrs}dinner. What this will do is help maintain your blood sugar levels so your body doesn't take the nutrients from it's lean muscle. As long as you stay close to the caloric count i gave you should loose the weight safely, provided you are staying active. When you get close to the weight you are targeting, slowly start adding more calories to your diet until you level out. Remember your daily caloric needs is based on your RMR and your activity level. If your activity level goes up or down too dramatically, such as greatly intensifying your workout or stopping all together, then you will need to recalculate in order to loose, maintain or gain weight.
Posted by: dumbell

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 12:22 AM

Quote:

can i still go with my diet tho but add like some chicken in it ; is anything gonn happen if i have 4 cans of tuna a day?

4 cans of tuna per day is pretty bad. According to this you should only be eating 3 cans of tuna/week maximum. Not balancing your diet and eating a lot of one thing can't be good for you. Also, I wouldn't risk getting bad long term effects to lose 55 lbs.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 12:25 AM

Thank you, Lane.
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 01:05 AM

you have to be in this weight class?
Posted by: Cord

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 06:50 AM

Quote:

i am 200 pounds, i am also 5' 8" and i have a little bit of muscle i play tennis and i also swim the 200 on the swim team and i swim a 50 in 35.6 seconds so i am pretty athletic but i am fat

Is there any earthly reason why you cant wrestle at 200 lbs?
If you are fit, on the swim team, and strong at 200lbs, why go and ruin it all to fit into a smaller unitard?
55lbs in 2 months will leave you weak, and wasted of muscle. Ever seen pictures of WWII concentration camp victims in history class? Did they have good abs and killer bi's? no. They were weak, and wasted away. Starvation will do nothing but get you thrown off the swim team before you fail to get on the wrestling team.
You are 15. you have nothing but time. Try adding some common sense and patience and the world is yours for the taking.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/07/05 01:47 PM

55 lbs is far too much too loose in that short period of time.

For your body to burn the food you are eating more efficiently trying eating 5 to 6 meals a day. Over time your body will adapt and be the better off for it. It will burn what you are eating for energy and there won't be the excess normally associated with 3 meals a day that would normally get deposited/stored as fat. Drink plenty of water which will help clean out your system. Start a weight lifting program that will help burn some of the extra fat as the muscle will need more energy. I'd also suggest cardio but you say you swim ... but possible you may want to pick up jogging or skipping rope on the side.

If by chance you do loose this weight by January you will not be very fit and then expect to put back on this weight and more. Take if off gradually and your body adapts. Take it off too fast and you'll pay for it sooner then later.
Posted by: Trarup

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/08/05 11:28 PM

At your weight 55lbs by jan is possible... but so bad for you its not even funny. you would be a wreck. i understand you may be aiming for a certain weight class, but if you tried to lose 55lbs in 8 weeks, you'll be FAR more ineffective than you would be if you stayed in your current one. At 200lbs you might (i repeat MIGHT) be able to work out a diet/workout plan that keeps you healthy and strong while losing MAYBE 2lbs per week. thats 16lbs if you have a profesional telling you what to do, then you actually do it. A realistic goal would be 1.5lbs per week, so 12lbs.

Problem with those plans is that you'll be putting on muscle as you lose wieght... so you might only lose a net of 12/9 respectivly. but with the extra 3-4lbs of raw might, you would be more ready for your present weight class(you'd be amazed at what a differance even just that much muscle will make).

Point is, you either need to re-think your goals to make them more realistic, or wait till next year (and by then who knows what you'll be like physicaly, as your still probaly not done growing).
Posted by: AshiharaStudent

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 11/16/05 11:54 AM

When I was younger I did a really quick massive weight loss and have regretted doing it ever since. I lost just under 2 stone in 6 weeks and this was far too much. I was taking in about 8-900 cals a day and exersizing hard on top of it.

I eventually ended up not putting enough energy into my body to function properly and collapsed. I was choking on my own toungue and if one of my mates was not an ER doctor and stuck his hand down my throat I would have died.

I got to the point where my muscles were so weak that I was good for nothing. I was knackered in the gym after about 30mins and was feeling light headed.

THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!

I put the majority of the weight on shortly after that, but I put it on using the right foods and doing the correct exersize.

That was a few years ago and this year I lost about 8 pounds, but that was intentional and just by changing my lifestyle. Feeling strong now and have a fair amount of muscle.
Got tested last night for my body fat percentage and it was sitting at 16.4% perfect

Listen to someone who has already made this mistake. Don't try and loose weight too fast... it's not worth it!
Posted by: MidwestTwinFists

Re: I need to gain weight - 12/02/05 08:55 PM

I'd be interested in gaining weight. I don't seem to have a very big appetite, but I assume there's some way to develop a larger one...? I eat a large bowl of (healthy) cereal for breakfast with 2% milk every day (and a piece of toast+orange juice on weekdays).

On weekdays I have a usually unhealthy school lunch half the time and the other half a cold lunch with a small sandwich, couple small slices of cheese, few slices of apple, some whole wheat crackers, two cookies and a small carton of chocolate milk (I know, sounds real filling and healthy, huh? ). On weekends I'm lazy and usually just make a couple sandwiches and some 2% milk for lunch.

After school I have some cookies for a snack with milk, then I usually have a pretty healthy supper (although sometimes kind of small) prepared by my parents. Usually along with 2% milk (occasionally orange juice). Dessert is usually a couple cookies or ice cream. I can't remember the last time I had whole milk, but my parents just buy 2% milk for themselves and I just drink it too.

I hardly ever exercise or practice Tae Kwon Do outside of the once a week class (even though I know I should, there's no room in my house, parents don't always feel like driving me somewhere). I'm not really sure what this is doing, I think I'm just maintaining my current (under)weight.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: I need to gain weight - 12/05/05 07:23 AM

That burn calculator is nifty. Apparently I burn 3,500 calories a day on martial arts...I never knew.

Re: I need to gain weight - 12/05/05 11:53 AM

So you train 4-5 hours a day?
Posted by: wowgoldstright

WOW gold - Youtube videos - 04/29/09 09:07 AM

apologies for delay in deletion. I am on here a lot, but not 24/7. Cord.
Posted by: MattJ

SPAM - 04/29/09 09:44 AM

Z!!!!!
Posted by: harlan

Re: SPAM - 04/29/09 09:50 AM

where is the moderator of this forum....???

Re: SPAM - 04/30/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

where is the moderator of this forum....???

For the record Harlan, I would have got to this edit 10 minutes earlier, had I not been reading through the needless argument you instigated on the grappling forum.
Posted by: hannah tate

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 07/31/09 12:38 PM

Hi there! Has anyone ever tried using an exercise balls and an instructional dvd to tone up?? I'm really considering it. That or a class on fencing! I don't know if I could hold up a big old sword though!

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 07/31/09 05:10 PM

'swiss ball' exercise has been commonplace for some years now, often in conjunction with pilates movements, as the unstable surface of the ball helps engage your postural muscles more intensely. There is a risk attached to the instability however, so its best to get qualified instruction on their use, or, if you must go ahead, be very careful of your home environment where it is placed: lots of open space, no sharp corners or edges within falling distance. Matting or thick carpet on floor etc. In all seriousness, people have died falling c0ck over cranium off of these things, so be careful.

As for fencing, I did a few lessons at university, its great exercise, and a fascinating skill, but you dont need to worry about the weight of the sword, they are not very heavy, and a well balanced foil will be manageable for the most waife-like of ladies.
smile
Posted by: FightTough

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 09/23/09 02:02 PM

A great way you could start to loose weight is simply just stop drinking soda! You do that you will loose a few pounds and everything you do besides that will add up and you will reach your goal, maybe not in January but soon after that smile hope i helped and Good luck!
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: I need to lose 55 pounds - 09/28/09 09:19 AM

I agree with the suggestion about soda. It doesn't just add calories, it throws your mineral balance out of whack.

In fact, starting with a focus on nutrients will lead to some weight loss anyway. There's a natural loss of cravings that happens when you get your levels up, especially iron, Vitamin D and omegas.