Not enough Leptin!!

Posted by: Christie

Not enough Leptin!! - 10/19/05 10:44 PM

Actually I know leptin isn't my problem I just couldn't think of anything to put in the subject... its kinda sorta slightly related to leptin though... maybe?

I have a problem with eating. The short explanation is I don't.

I have to make a conscious effort to rememeber to eat and that works fine until after lunch (unless its an exceptionally busy day, then I forget period)- then I almost literally forget to eat! I will feel hungry and I will start feeling dizzy/nauseous, know its because I haven't eaten and should eat --- and then do nothing about it!

Whats my problem!?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Not enough Leptin!! - 10/20/05 01:20 AM

Two things. 1st you are always on the go, this is a matter of record. When was the last time anyone stopped halfway through an ma class and thought 'wow, i am hungry' Never.
The body suppresses apetite during exertion. People with a lot of nervous energy, or who thrive on stress tend not to get hungry because the body percieves all stress- mental and physical, the same way, and adjusts body function accordingly. Its the stereotypical picture of the high powered buisness exec. living on coffe and cigarettes.

2nd reason is potentialy more troubling. You have lost a hell of a lot of weight post thyroid treatment. Often those who have done this subconsciously become a little phobic about eating. They associate food with body weight, not nutritional supply. If not nipped in the bud, this negative association can lead to anorexia, or other forms of ABD.
Not wanting to go all psych 101 on you, but food can represent control in these cases. Your Mother having suffered with BPD, and your thyroid dictating your bodyweight for so many years, may have created a deep rooted need to feel in control of your own life and actions, this is a psychological state conducive to Anorexia.

Set 3 alarms on your watch/cell phone, each one to remind you of brek, lunch and dinner. When you hear the alarm, eat something. Doesnt have to be huge, but something. Over time, your body will come to expect food at these times and will remind you itself- this will mean the return of your appetite.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Not enough Leptin!! - 10/20/05 03:06 AM

Great advice cord..

I do just that. I set my watch to go off every 2 hours and I eat something small. Around 300 calories or so..
Posted by: Christie

Re: Not enough Leptin!! - 10/20/05 12:54 PM

Quote:

Two things. 1st you are always on the go, this is a matter of record. When was the last time anyone stopped halfway through an ma class and thought 'wow, i am hungry' Never.
The body suppresses apetite during exertion. People with a lot of nervous energy, or who thrive on stress tend not to get hungry because the body percieves all stress- mental and physical, the same way, and adjusts body function accordingly. Its the stereotypical picture of the high powered buisness exec. living on coffe and cigarettes.

This makes sense to me, I'm always on the go and know I need to slow down... knowing and doing are two very different things. When I think about why I always keep myself occupied... the reason I come up with isn't a good thing. I still have some issues I need to work out I think .. in the mean time I'll try your alarm suggestion, even though - just as with the Thyroid medication - I'll often tell myself "Ya I know, I'll do it later" I need to like set an alarm to remember the alarm!!

Quote:

2nd reason is potentialy more troubling. You have lost a hell of a lot of weight post thyroid treatment. Often those who have done this subconsciously become a little phobic about eating. They associate food with body weight, not nutritional supply. If not nipped in the bud, this negative association can lead to anorexia, or other forms of ABD.
Not wanting to go all psych 101 on you, but food can represent control in these cases. Your Mother having suffered with BPD, and your thyroid dictating your bodyweight for so many years, may have created a deep rooted need to feel in control of your own life and actions, this is a psychological state conducive to Anorexia.

I have to be honest, I was a little offended the first time I read this, mostly because I have been "accused" of having an eating disorder before by family and friends. I don't!! .... think

Quote:

Set 3 alarms on your watch/cell phone, each one to remind you of brek, lunch and dinner. When you hear the alarm, eat something. Doesnt have to be huge, but something. Over time, your body will come to expect food at these times and will remind you itself- this will mean the return of your appetite.

I'll definitely try that, though I might need to set six alarms, one to remember eating, one to remember that the alarm already went off!!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Not enough Leptin!! - 10/20/05 02:57 PM

please dont be offended, I am not saying you have a disorder, I am merely saying you mat be in a headspace conducive to developing one if not carefull. The fact that you posted about your irregular eating suggests that this si something you already know is not right.
The elements of your life I brought up, are only things you have freely offered in other posts, so I didnt see it as indescreet. If I am wrong in this I sincerely apologise.

Do the alarm thing, invest some of your tenacity into looking after yourself with the same drive and enthusiasm you clearly display in other areas of your life

In friendship,

Cord.
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Not enough Leptin!! - 10/21/05 01:20 AM

I'm not sure if this will help you, but this is what happened to me.
A few years ago, I would go most of the day without eating a thing. My first meal would be about two or three o'clock, and my next meal would be dinner. I wasn't anorexic, but people thought I was. Mind you, I wasn't very physically active so my body didn't require a lot of food. I would just not be hungry.
I started eating breakfast. I would wake up hungry when my body got into the habit of eating breakfast first thing in the morning. Then I would get hungry a few hrs later, and so fourth.
Now, it's almost at the point where my eating habits are annoying. I'm hungry every two hrs. I eat around 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3:30pm, 1st dinner, then training then 2nd dinner (one dinner if i don't train). I've been told that I eat a horrendous(sp?) amount for someone my size.

I suggest you just make yourself eat at regular times. Soon, your body will start expecting food at certain times, and you'll be hungry. You'll have enough fuel for the whole day. Drink lots of water too. You're an active person, and you need to eat. Make it as important as Training or Engineering.