stars

Posted by: malcolm

stars - 09/23/05 02:34 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but gere it goes.

I've been practicing some basic gynnastic moves (flips, kip-ups, hand springs) The only problem is when I move upside down, and then upright again in a fast motion, I see stars or fire flies.

Anyone know what causes this?
Posted by: trevek

Re: stars - 09/23/05 07:49 AM

Are you holding your breath?

Re: stars - 09/23/05 08:39 AM

Nope. Just a quick up and down moiton like a cart wheel.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: stars - 09/23/05 12:00 PM

That may be the blood draining away from your head when you are going upside down, then returning as you go right side up again. Shouldn't be a problem unless the condition persists noticeably after you have stopped moving.

If you have any doubts, check with your doctor.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: stars - 09/23/05 06:08 PM

Quote:

... the only problem is when I move upside down, and then upright again in a fast motion, I see stars ...

If you get a chance get their autograph. Anybody I'd know?

"Sorry, it's Friday and couldn't pass this one up" ... sounds like a common problem with blood rushing to your head to quickly.
Posted by: ikklehen

Re: stars - 09/23/05 07:59 PM

Hi Malcolm
It's not blood rushing away from your head, I should think it is just a complete rush of blood to your head for the brief moment you are in the whole 360 degree spin. Its totally normal, you may even find it wears off after more practice. I gather it is a new move and the stars you get are for a brief moment???
When I was a pairs-adagio ice-skater I got some dizzy starry moments! I used to get broken blood vessels in and around my eyes because of the pressure of certain spins where my head was lower than my legs and feet. I got used to it. Also the liquid in the inner ear bit has a part to play with balance and motion which can be upset but slowly gets used to the crazy angles we may regularly throw ourselves in.
This is all my thoughts from my experiences about stars and dizzy bits. More of a comfort talk really. If it gets worse, check your health and eating, breathing, blood pressure etc... all ok? Maybe consult a doctor with all this if you are really worried.
Good luck with your tricks! Sounds great!
xxx

Re: stars - 09/23/05 08:26 PM

Thanks. I'm not too worried about it. I only see the stars for a short period after doing such a move. Just wanted to know if anyone else got these.

once again, thanks.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: stars - 10/10/05 05:07 PM

What you are seeeing is electrical signals moving across your visual cortex. Drink plenty of water before and during your practise session and warm up properly. This should solve the problem.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: stars - 10/12/05 07:41 AM

Sorry, but you shouldn't drink plenty of water before and during practise. Try to take sips during intervals and before training. Drink plenty of water only after training. Because of the spinning and somersaults, you may feel a little sick.

Care to explain a little on the electrical signals moving across the visual cortex?
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: stars - 10/15/05 12:49 AM

You'll 'see stars' more when you're not properly hydrated, though of course drinking large amopunts of water directly before jumping aorund is a formula for nausea.

The stars you see are called phosphenes, they are caused by external stimulation of the visual cortex by mechanical or electrical means. I usually find they are followed by, or concomitant with, black dots in the visual field (scotoma).