calcium supplments, for teens

Posted by: batterup

calcium supplments, for teens - 09/04/05 04:17 PM

i take 1 vitamine d tablet and a calcium tablet every day because i do not drink much milk and don't get in the sun that much, how much calcium should i be getting everyday? and how much vitamine d? the reason why i am taking these is because i want to grow tall
Posted by: Cord

Re: calcium supplments, for teens - 09/08/05 10:11 AM

If you must take a supplement, take a multi vitamin/mineral. Eat plenty of vgetables, and increase your low fat dairy intake.
Sufficient calcium will ensure your bones are strong, but will do nothing to make you grow tall. That is down to your genetics, and you will end up what height your genes dictate.

Re: calcium supplments, for teens - 09/08/05 10:30 PM

are you sure about that? because i have heard back in the day people were a lot shorter because of lack of nutrition

Re: calcium supplments, for teens - 09/09/05 07:13 AM

well, maybe if you were genuinely malnourished from birth, it may have some effect, but assuming you have not been malnourished and locked in an attick from birth, i really wouldnt worry
Look at at this way, how awesome do you think Stallone's nutritional and exercise regime has been since he was a young teen? Top notch right? so how come he is only like 5' 7" ? surely he should be 6'5" or something by now?
Whats he doing wrong? Nothing. Your height is already decided in your Genes. Just eat a balanced diet and see what happens.Trust me, if there were a way of 'stretching' people out, then NBA teams would be sponsoring special schools where new talent would be sent to undergo special growth regimes. As you may have noticed, this does not happen, as no such 'cures' for shortness exist.Sorry.

Re: calcium supplments, for teens - 09/09/05 11:11 AM

i'm not saying that if you eat all the right foods and get the right nutrition that you will grow taller, i saying if you don't eat the right foods and the get the right amount of nutrition that you will be shorter then you were ment to be then if you had the right nutrition, anyways don't take this the wrong way i am not trying to start an arguement or anything, oh and well there is always growth hormone for extreme cases of being short although it can kill you, anyways the reason why i broought up this thread anyway is because i don't drink a lot of milk that is why i am worried about my calcium intake

Re: calcium supplments, for teens - 09/09/05 02:04 PM

Ok, back to basics. A one a day multi vit/min will cover any and all shortcomings in your diet, and keep everything in balance . Milk is not your only source of calcium, if you dont like milk, eat regular amounts of low fat cheese, or yogurt. if you do like milk, the answer is even simpler-drink some!
A good selection of other foods that are rich in calcium include: Spinach, white beans, dried figs, broccoli, almonds, not to mention food stuffs advertised as 'fortified with calcium' (particularly many breakfast cereals). Hope this gives you some ideas, but with calcium being present in so many of our daily food stuffs these days, my point was that it is unlikely you are calcium deficient in the first place.