growth

Posted by: pac

growth - 08/21/05 10:51 PM

Hey im 14. Im 5'2''. THe past 2 months ive been weight lifting alot. i do heavy sets to failure. 1 body part a day. im jus wondrin if this is gna stop my growth because ive still not hit my growth spurt.
Posted by: fighter91

Re: growth - 08/22/05 12:19 AM

i heard that it just a myth that weight training stunts growth. Cause some tall basketball players started out lifting early and look at em now like 6 feet to 7 feet. such as tim duncan. But by now means dont try and bench real big until ur body has fully grown like 15-16
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: growth - 08/22/05 12:32 AM

Quote:

i heard that it just a myth that weight training stunts growth. Cause some tall basketball players started out lifting early and look at em now like 6 feet to 7 feet. such as tim duncan. But by now means dont try and bench real big until ur body has fully grown like 15-16

FULLY GROWN AT 16??? Hell no. That's why we don't do bone conditioning until you are 18.

I started weight training when I was 15, no problems.

There is nothing wrong with benching your max weight - unless it is unsafe. There is debate over wether doing squats is safe or not. I did them at a heavy weight, but it was using a machien and in sets, I did not do it at a maximum. Ask an experienced weight training instructor/bodybuilder of you don't know.
Posted by: fighter91

Re: growth - 08/22/05 10:25 PM

hey thats what i read from a PROFFESSIONAL.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: growth - 08/22/05 11:49 PM

I suggest your professional is lousy.

Yeah, you might be fully able to do weights at 16, but you don't stop growing until you are 22/23.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: growth - 08/23/05 09:10 AM

Quote:

I suggest your professional is lousy.

Yeah, you might be fully able to do weights at 16, but you don't stop growing until you are 22/23.

And that, my friend, is a FACT!
Posted by: Cord

Re: growth - 08/23/05 12:48 PM

If i may add my 2 cents worth, as a qualified trainer with ten years experience, Mark Hill and Dragonfire are correct.
Squats and deadlifts pose problems to a developing spine if done with poor technique- this usually results from using too much weight. Safe logic is to concentrate on crisp technique, preferably in the presence of an experienced spotter. If in doubt go lighter for higher reps with spinal load exercises (squat, deadlift, overhead press and bent over row) until you are pretty much fully formed (usually 17-18 years old).
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: growth - 08/27/05 12:32 AM

man at 15-16 u have a growth spurt, then you get another around 18-19.. maybe 20