Question about whey protein powder

Posted by: BAMA REDNECK9000

Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 01:59 PM

Is it better to mix Whey protein with milk or water, and is it better to chug down the shake all at once, or drink it like normal?
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 02:59 PM

I guess whichever you prefer, however, I much rather mix mine up in skim milk. As far as chugging or drinking it normally, again its just up to you. I generally finish mine off pretty quick.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 04:15 PM

Whey protein is best mixed with water.
By mixing it with milk, you add protein over and above the amount you can digest in one sitting (waste of money).
Better to get maximum absorbtion of the supplement, save the money you would spend on the milk and put it towards your next tub.
Posted by: BAMA REDNECK9000

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 04:38 PM

What if I only use 1 scoop (20g of protein) with about 6 oz. of milk (6g of protein) thats 26g of protein, I should be able to digest that right?
Posted by: Goliath

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 06:42 PM

It tastes better in a milk shake with a bit of frozen fruit.
Posted by: Garyinjapan

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/15/05 11:08 PM

Hello,
If you are taking the whey first thing in the morning, or after training, mix it with water. The absorption is fastest with water.
If You are taking the whey throughout the day, or before bed mix it with milk, or take Micellar Casein based protein. The protein release is slower, takes a few hours to be fully absorbed. This is what your body needs throughout the day, and while sleeping.
The same goes for carbs. Pre workout= slow release carbs. Post workout (immediately after training)= fast release carbs. Then back to slow release.
Cheers. Gary.

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/16/05 08:50 AM

Quote:

What if I only use 1 scoop (20g of protein) with about 6 oz. of milk (6g of protein) thats 26g of protein, I should be able to digest that right?

Yep, no problem with that. Some critics may point out that the efficiency of absorbtion would be better as 100% whey, but quite frankly unless lactose intolerant it wont make a huge amount of difference,and you will make your (expensive) protein powder last longer, and taste a little better. People were getting big on milk and eggs long before whey isolate came into fashion, including me
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/16/05 10:02 AM

Your not really gona lose out by using milk..just make sure its skim or you may be getting some extra pudge. Great for calcium, makes the shake taste better and alot more filling.TO me the waste of protein due to absorbtion dosnt sound right..Mayby if your working out on an empty stomach. Personally I workout after breakfast so I have a full stomach, and then have my shake.Mayby that slows the absorbtion.Try both, whichever you like better, use.

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/16/05 03:24 PM

Absorbtion of nutrients not digestion of matter. Take in more than 30 grams of protein in one sitting and the majority of the excess will merely be processed as waste. That is why you dont see serving sizes over 40 grams per serving, it would be a waste of time, you would just turn it into a nice big turd
Posted by: Equis

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/30/05 04:37 PM

Quote:

Hello,
If you are taking the whey first thing in the morning, or after training, mix it with water. The absorption is fastest with water.
If You are taking the whey throughout the day, or before bed mix it with milk, or take Micellar Casein based protein. The protein release is slower, takes a few hours to be fully absorbed. This is what your body needs throughout the day, and while sleeping.
The same goes for carbs. Pre workout= slow release carbs. Post workout (immediately after training)= fast release carbs. Then back to slow release.
Cheers. Gary.

CARBS are your friend... I took the Quick Fuel mix that GNC sells, for a week for my work outs. Then one right before my Belt test of 5 hours and I have to say it works freaking swesome. I did not feel super tired just tired like I worked out for an hour and a half.
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 06/30/05 11:21 PM

I just mix it with skim milk, and drink it at random times. i should prolly set a schedule though....usually i drink a glass right after working out, but then other days i drink it right before i go to sleep...
Posted by: knightcommander

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/01/05 12:23 AM

Use full fat milk. Its been shown that the enzymes in the fat of milk aids in absorbtion of several nutrients, including protein. Most impotantly though, it aids in the absorbtion of calcium (hence why babies are meant to drink full fat).

Also you wont get fat from drinking full fat milk, maybe if you drank 5L a day, but not from a few protein shakes.
Posted by: Garyinjapan

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/01/05 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,
Cheers. Gary.

CARBS are your friend... I took the Quick Fuel mix that GNC sells, for a week for my work outs. Then one right before my Belt test of 5 hours and I have to say it works freaking swesome. I did not feel super tired just tired like I worked out for an hour and a half.

Yes carbs our friends, along with proteins and fats...
When I was refering to pre workout carbs (slow release), I was refering to a pre workout meal an hour or so before training, not a quick carb drink just before, or whilst training.
Posted by: neon000

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/02/05 01:47 PM

I like the Quick Fuels too. Tastes good and the energy boost lasted about 2 hrs. I take flavored ones, plain protein drinks just taste aaaaack to me...
Posted by: Laughing Dingo

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/05/05 04:09 AM

I like to mix my whey with non-fat dry milk and water. Its kind of an aquired taste. Skim milk tastes like a wet dog to me, but I like the powdered milk. I also like stirring in some wheat germ and ground flax for a breakfast drink. Call me crazy, or just plain dumb.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/15/05 07:11 AM

I mix mine with regular milk. Mixing it with water makes it almost undrinkable for me. On an odd whim..I put just a little Bailey's Irish Cream in my vanilla protean shake one evening...man did it improve the taste... and I slept like the dead..
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Question about whey protein powder - 07/15/05 03:57 PM

I like milk ... I like vanilla whey protein ... I like Bailey's Irish Cream ... warm this up just like milk of old to put you to sleep ... MAN ... you might have something.