Does Tea cause weakness like coffee?

Posted by: alskef

Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/22/05 11:16 AM

Hello:
You know that coffee and cola cause weakness to the body especially to the Martial artist because of Cafaien (sorry if I wrote it wrongfully..I meant the matter that cause warning)
But what about tea?
Some people say that tea causes weakness and the other part say that it doesn’t cause any weakness because tea needs too much boiling time..
What about you?
What do you think?
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/23/05 03:16 AM

Neither tea nor coffee cause "weakness". The caffiene in both acts as a stimulant; if used in the proper amount and timed right, it is highly beneficial to training.

The ergogenic properties of caffiene have been studied and proven many times over.

Now, is there a negative side? Of course. If over used, or too large an amount is taken, side effects can occur.

Buts that just common sense. Then again, common sense is rare thing these days
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/24/05 03:02 PM

How much is too much? A cup of coffee b4 exercise kills me. Not just coffee either...energy drinks mess me up big time too.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/24/05 03:09 PM

What do you mean by, "kills you"? As in making you sick? Or just makes you you feel like $h!t?
Posted by: alskef

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/25/05 02:31 AM

it causes that my friend...
do you know that a cup of NESCAFE makes me quake all the day?
it's vital
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/27/05 10:05 AM

Makes me feel like [censored]...actually decreases my energy and overall "umph"
Posted by: Diga

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 05/27/05 12:15 PM

I don't really know any science about this topic.
But - My brother and I react totally different with coffee.
For me - it gives me a boost. As others have said too much is not good. I like a strong cup in the morning after breakfast and another after lunch. None of this cup after cup stuff.
My brohter doesn't drink coffee because it almost puts him to sleep.
Don't know just why but everyones system is different and if it doesn't agree with you then don't use it.
Posted by: -orangesiscool-

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/03/05 11:45 AM

when people feel weak/tired from coffee or caffiene, it usually is because they are just sensitive. everyone has a limit. a friend of mine drinks jolt all the time, but when he drank four in one sitting, he went right too sleep. off course if you drink it, and take too much time until you workout/whatever, then you will have come down by then and be fighting of the mellow (for some it's fatigue). drink green tea to slowly build up your tolerance. (i'm not being sexist, but women are clinicly proven to be more sensitive to caffiene)
Posted by: fluid

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/04/05 01:40 PM

All i have to say is if coffee doesnt work for you, dont use it.

For me coffee helps, if i drink it before I workout, i have alot more energy to burn

Just my 2 cents
Posted by: tookien1

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/11/05 01:21 PM

The differance between coffee and tea is not that they have more or less caffeine in it but the fact that coffee is much thicker. The affects of coffee lie in the blood stream of your veins, capileries, nerves all leading to your heart and at the same time affecting the central nervous system. Coffee is a stimulant, yes, because it is a narcotic containing caffeine which affects the brain responsiveness. Your heart speeds up because it has to pump your blood harder, which means your entire body feels as though its a little on steroids. If you drink lets say, on extreme 10 cups or so per day, your body will not be able to handle it and in turn will affect your central nervous system negatively because the adrenaline from your body is being excreted at rapid rates. This can cause weakness afterwards , can cause sleepiness, constipation, diarhea, stress, or even at worst you may form some type of anxiety or heart disorder. Drinking 1 or 2 cups a day is actually good for you (studies have shown), it neutralizes your body and can boost your immune system or give your pure energy, but too much can drain you, even after you quit, depending how your body reacts, can cause long-term problems after high doses of coffee. One very common problem is tremors and shivering type of feeling when drinking in high doses, thats either coffee or tea. In my opinion, the best choice would be to drink tea instead, preferably natural herbal tea which gives you full benefits without harming you if you decide to go crazy.

the mind > the fist

tookien1

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/11/05 03:15 PM

Ok, I need to dispell some misinformation here.

Quote:

The differance between coffee and tea is not that they have more or less caffeine in it but the fact that coffee is much thicker.

Thickness has nothing to do with it. Tea is steeps from leaves. Coffee is steeped from ground roasted beans. Coffee happens to have a LOT more caffiene than tea, and this is fact.

Quote:

Coffee is a stimulant, yes, because it is a narcotic containing caffeine which affects the brain responsiveness.

Coffee is NOT , I repeat NOT a narcotic. Morphine is a narcotic. Codiene is a narcotic. HEROIN is a narcotic. Caffiene is, as you stated, a central nervous system stimulant, containing both beta and alpha adrenergic properties. I know what I'm talking about. You do not. This is also fact

And, as you stated, and has been stated in the above posts, drinking an extreme amount will have side effects. 1 to 2 cups a day can be beneficial.

I encourage everyone to post, but what grinds me is people that post incorrect information. It's misleading and potentially dangerous.

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/12/05 10:39 PM

"Thickness has nothing to do with it. Tea is steeps from leaves. Coffee is steeped from ground roasted beans. Coffee happens to have a LOT more caffiene than tea, and this is fact."

Thickness does have something to do with it, that is why people feel dehydrated after drinking it, sweating and other weezy feeling symptoms depending on other factors such as having diabetes.

"Coffee is NOT , I repeat NOT a narcotic. Morphine is a narcotic. Codiene is a narcotic. HEROIN is a narcotic. Caffiene is, as you stated, a central nervous system stimulant, containing both beta and alpha adrenergic properties. I know what I'm talking about. You do not. This is also fact"

What I really meant is that it is "like" a narcotic because it can be addictive and it is addictive which most narcotics and chemicals found in certain foods are.

One last thing, it is a proven fact that tea can variably have much more caffiene than coffee depending on how the coffee is served and how its measured, for example, dry tea can have significantly more caffeine then your average cup of coffee, which also depends on how long the tea leaves have fermented. But when your talking on average per serving on ounce, you do have coffee on top. Here is one observed fact that stupifies your comments.

Coffee: 5 oz cup----Per Ounce= 16 can have 40-170 mg
Tea: One Tea bag-Per Ounce= 05 can have 25-110 mg

Put two tea bags in and you have twice the amount of caffeine than black coffee.

I can understand why you say otherwise, the heat can get to you and delude your mind.

tookien1

"You don'nt truly know anyone until you realize they watch The Matrix too often"

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/13/05 01:18 AM

Quote:

Thickness does have something to do with it, that is why people feel dehydrated after drinking it, sweating and other weezy feeling symptoms depending on other factors such as having diabetes.

Dehydration : Due to the fact caffiene is a diuretic

Sweating : Due to the fact caffiene is a stimulant

Wheezy? Not going to happen....caffiene has beta-2 agonist properties. You look it up.

Diabetes : While I'm not a diabetic, I see many patients that are. Coffee(or tea for that matter) are not contraindicated in their diets.

I regularly share a strong pot or two of fresh ground coffee with a friend who has had insulin-depndant diabetes since she was 9.

So. That kills the "thickness" theory.

As for caffiene content in tea vs. coffee, yes, I do suppose brewing methods can make a huge difference. I've brewed tea leaves long enough to have a single cup nearly blow your head clean off

Coffee still takes the cake, but we'll let sleeping dogs lie on that one.

Tookien, you seem like a well-spoken individual, and we don't have enough posters like that on this board. I'd rather not butt heads over details. Lets just keep the facts in the answers, shall we?
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/13/05 09:10 AM

It depends on the type of coffee you are drinking.
Nescafe, is good if you want to start jumping around like a jack-in-the-box.
The purpose of cafeine when working out (appart from energy) is to change the fat/energy burning ratio towards more fat burn.
Nescafe is bad quality coffee , it has any number of other chemicals in it, thats why if you put a litle water and shake it froths up. Do you think that normal ground beans froth when you shake them??
Get a good coffee machine, get a good cup of coffee, dont drink to much and you will be fine.

I love coffee, Its the life juice

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/13/05 01:29 PM

Quote:

The purpose of cafeine when working out (appart from energy) is to change the fat/energy burning ratio towards more fat burn.
Nescafe is bad quality coffee , it has any number of other chemicals in it, thats why if you put a litle water and shake it froths up. Do you think that normal ground beans froth when you shake them??
Get a good coffee machine, get a good cup of coffee, dont drink to much and you will be fine.

I love coffee, Its the life juice

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the positive thermogenic properties of caffiene. Being a slim mo' fo' already, it doesn't exactly come to mind when I brew a pot.

Good point on the quality of coffee, too. We unfourtunately drink the low-quality type of coffee at the firehalls. I bring my own beans to grind There'll be no crappy coffee at MY fire station!

Lately I've been buying organic coffee---can't say I notice a difference between that and the locally roasted beans I normally buy.

Is it just me, or is this thread turning into a "I love coffee!" thread?

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 06/13/05 10:08 PM

MikeMartial

Yah, I think your right about that thickness issue with the coffee, I always thought of it that way and it was something I read in a health article a while back but perhaps I misunderstood and conflicted resoning. Sorry for being a little harsh with my last post, I don't want to argue or make enemies on any forums, just ignore my overreactivity (if there is such a word) I may make, thanks.

tookien1
Posted by: ikklehen

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 09/11/05 04:52 PM

Caffene makes me shaky and anxious and feel sick. I had a caffene pop once and I didn't sleep for three days. LOL. I stick to caffene free everything! It dehydrates the body too. Not goooood!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 09/12/05 04:27 AM

I got a little bit worried a while ago that I could drink over 15 cups a day and it didn't seem to affect me (I was slimmer, I recall). These days I hardly drink it.

Martial point, apparently the first instant coffee was supplied in a cake-form to soldiers in the American civil war. It aided their concentration and aggression.
Posted by: SieWhange120

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/23/08 04:19 AM

What a nice question?.... i think that thickness issue with the coffee...Coffee still takes the cake, but we'll let sleeping dogs lie on that one, but Nescafe is bad quality coffee. thank you..
Green Tea
Black Tea
Blossoming Tea
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/23/08 01:44 PM

"The caffiene in both acts as a stimulant; if used in the proper amount and timed right, it is highly beneficial to training."

Caffeine dehydrates you. This is not something that you want to do in any amount prior to training. Drink water or gatorade. Caffeine also raises the heart rate and can affect blood pressure. Also not things that you want to do prior to your work out.
Sure, you want a workout that raises your heart rate. But pumping it up unnaturally is not a good idea.
In moderate amounts tea and coffee will not be harmful to a healthy person. But misuse of a stimulant, even a legal one, will cause health problems.
Posted by: Kujaku

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/23/08 02:05 PM

Hmmm, I think that drinking tea prior to a workout is a good idea. Just as long as you are making sure to stay hydrated. This may be all mental, but atleast for me, drinking tea helps to revitalize my mind. It helps to wake me up from my "sleepiness" and live in the present. This is why I will sometimes drink a cup of tea and meditate before I go in for a long training session, exam, or tournament. It helps me to feel more at peace I guess. Though I don't drink just any old cheap tea from the grocery market, I actually bring back my own tea from China whenever I visit my family there. I usually drink Pu-ehr tea. It is very good, but quite expensive relative to other teas.

So basically, I personally would recommend to drink a cup of good quality tea before a long day, just make sure to stay hydrated...maybe drink some gatorade beforehand as well. ^_^
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/30/08 08:18 AM

Tea really helps me out. I used to drink coffee all the time, but it caused major headaches. Besides TKD, I'm also a competitive swimmer and the chlorine made it so bad that my coach had to take me out of the pool. Since then, she has forbidden me from coffee while in season. On the other hand, tea doesn't cause that and it helps revitalize me. It's my new coffee.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/30/08 08:29 AM

Didn't you say you were 17? And drinking coffee at that young age? Man times have changed. At that age I never needed caffeine to get moving. Way to go starbucks..
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/31/08 04:57 AM

My grandmother got me on it when I was 5. I come from a family of coffee drinkers. Yeah...such a great influence. Back then, coffee only caused me to calm down. I miss my old reaction a bit. I'm sorta glad I got off of it though. I have way more energy for anything that is active.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/31/08 05:07 AM

dang, 5 on coffee? my dad was a coffee drinker and I still didn't touch it. It wasn't until I went into the Army. Man, alot of bad habits came from the army...hhmm,
Posted by: VietPanda

Re: Does Tea cause weakness like coffee? - 07/31/08 09:41 AM

Hmmm you guys are definitely right that caffeine have different effects on different ppl

I remember in teh last year of highschool, many nights i drank super super strong (i added like 5 tspoons of expresso to the cup lol) coffee to keep me up to study...then half an hour later I felt sleepy and slept with no problem at all

No addiction AT ALL...I swear

But I also remember earlier this year I did the same but with normal dose of coffee, and couldn't sleep until 6am

My personal advice is to avoid it if you dont' like it.
eg. If you extremely hate coffee, but drank it anyway to energize, you wouldn't feel as good as if you didn't drink it at all
I actually hate coffee, but love virtually any type of tea

Just remember that some teas help with healing of sickness and injuries - but you can decide for yourself whether they help with exercise or promote "weakness"