Interview

Posted by: Anonymous

Interview - 04/19/05 09:23 PM

Anyone here have to take an interview to become a deshi? I have to take one tomorrow, and I wonder...it's not going to be like a job interview is it?
Posted by: Amos Smith

Re: Interview - 04/27/05 04:34 PM

Hello Kevin,

I did. It is exactly like a job interview...though most people don't know exactly what that is either. As a former technical recruiter who has prepared many applicants for the experience, I have a unique perspective on both sides.

Here are a couple of good rules to follow:
1) Be 10 minutes early.
2) Wear a tie, a suit is better. Being over dressed will rarely count against you.
3) Be honest.
4) Ask 3 questions.
5) Always ask for the job...it doesn't matter what you think about the job until you see the offer...get the offer.

The process in the dojo or the board room is the same. You interview them, they interview you. It goes both ways. Regardless of what you think about the job, the manager or the company, ask for the job, get the offer.

If you are looking for some perspective on interviewing to become a deshi, see this link: http://www.chicagobudokai.com/Prospective%20Members.htm

Sorry for the late reply. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Amos

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Ly:
Anyone here have to take an interview to become a deshi? I have to take one tomorrow, and I wonder...it's not going to be like a job interview is it?[/QUOTE]

Re: Interview - 04/27/05 06:14 PM

I agree with everything Amos said. Treat it like you where interviewing for any major company. Get the job even if you don't like what you see or hear. It will give you more confidence and experiance for your next interview.

Durring the inteview you should be doing 70% of the talking. You are trying to sell yourself.

[This message has been edited by tsafa (edited 04-27-2005).]

Re: Interview - 04/27/05 11:00 PM

Thanks a lot guys. My interview got delayed, so I actually have it tomorrow evening (April 28). Your advice will help a lot. I've never actually had anyone tell me to ask for the job, something I've failed to do a couple of times. I appreciate it.

Although a suit and tie might be a bit to formal for me, I'll definitely go with a nice button down shirt and khakis.