A Question about Ritter Steel swords

Posted by: Anonymous

A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/19/05 09:26 AM

To anyone who owns a sword from ritter steel. I'm thinking of purchasing a sword from them and was wondering what the quality is like.
For example: if I were to bend one of thier swords, would it spring back to normal or would it simply stay bent. i'm not looking to use this sword but i would like to be able to practice kata w/ without ruining it. any information would be appreciated.

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/19/05 05:33 PM

hello ken

I have handled a few of these at knife/gun shows

If you are talking about a katana yes for the most part (80 percent have a good spring temper ).

They are not differentialy tempered but spring tempered so yes they (usualy)spring back true

the euro longswords claymores and such are questionable they seem to be very soft steel
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/19/05 10:14 PM

Of course, Katana are not normally made of spring steel.

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/20/05 12:54 AM

yup that is my point

they are good if you dont want real sword

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/20/05 03:58 PM

From what I have heard, Rittersteel is half-decent to hang on a wall, but can't hold an edge while cutting air. They are soft, but not especially strong or durable either (a sign of poor quality steel and a mediocre temper). I would advise against getting them.

Kenkaku, all tempered steel, when bent, will spring back to shape (within reason, of course). This goes especially for swords. I would not suggest doing it repeatedly, but it is very hard to snap a good sword simply by bending it by hand.

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/26/05 05:11 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. Also, if you can tell, do they appear to have a full tang or do they have the infamous rat tail tang. I'm refering of course to the katana.

[This message has been edited by kenkaku (edited 04-26-2005).]

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/26/05 07:08 PM

They say in www.rittersteel.com bout their Samurai swords:

"Our functional Rittersteel™ ninja and samurai sword styles have been used the world over." http://www.rittersteel.com/japanese-samurai-swords.htm

I wonder which legitimate sensei in Japan or anywhere in the world use these.

Re: A Question about Ritter Steel swords - 04/27/05 06:56 AM

I have created a website showing how I pratice on tires. I show this site to whoever I plan to buy a sword from and I ask them if their sword will hold up to tire-practice and if they will back it up with a waranty. Most say no.

I think I have found a good method of figuring out which swords are garbage. I'll be the first to say that there is more to a sword then just toughness. It must also be properly balanced and so on, but it should have a basic strenth too will hold up against light armor.

[This message has been edited by tsafa (edited 04-27-2005).]