help with a name!

Posted by: Anonymous

help with a name! - 04/04/05 06:55 AM

hey all,

my grand father has a set of swords that he
recently gave me , and i have not a clue how to pronounce "Wakizashi" . the the set includes a tanto, wakizashi, and a katana.
any help would be great!

p.s. this set is olny for my wall,im never going to use them

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 07:27 AM

No sure, but I think the stress pattern is on the first syllable, in "wakizashi". Apart from that, I think the transliteration is pretty much self-explanatory about how to pronounce it... Oh, and I believe the Is are pronounced a bit like the English short (like in "bit", not like in "beer").

There are some people much more learned than myself when it comes to Japanese language, on this forum. Maybe one of them could confirm/correct what I said...

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 12:59 PM

Sorry Tashigae, but Japanese words are pronounced with all of the syllables equally stressed. Most Americans pronounce katana as "kuh-tana," whereas the Japanese pronounce the word as "KA TA NA". And since it is their language, guess who is in error?

Now I am far from an expert, but as I have gleaned from both martial arts, the hoards of Japanese kids at my school, and from years of anime [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG], the Romanji version of an 'I' in the Japanese language (Nihon-go) is ALWAYS pronounced as an 'e'. The only exceptions are when it is preceded with an 'a' or an 'e', such as with the word 'kiai', which is pronounced as "kee i". Words like 'rei' sound like "ray".

And to answer blade's question, wakizashi would be pronounced "WA Kee ZA Shee." There is some variability on how the 'i' at the end of 'shi' in any word is pronounced. I sometimes hear the expected "shee" or I hear my sensei almost always pronounce wakizashi or kirioroshi as "Wa kee ZA Shh" and "Kee Ree Oh Ro Shh."

I have heard bushi pronounced as "Boo Shh", and I am not talking about how you might pronounce George Dubya's last name. My guess it may be like how Americans shortened "whats up" to "sup". Like Americans, they just get lazy with certain words and possibly my instructor picked up the habit.

[This message has been edited by kenjutsu n00b (edited 04-04-2005).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blade:
hey all,

my grand father has a set of swords that he
recently gave me , and i have not a clue how to pronounce "Wakizashi" . the the set includes a tanto, wakizashi, and a katana.
any help would be great!

p.s. this set is olny for my wall,im never going to use them
[/QUOTE]

Your a lucky man,
they could be worth a fortune too? Don't let anyone handle them unless they know what there doing. You might want to get them appraised before you hang them on your wall. If they are antiques from Japan please get them looked after correctly, so many family swords just get trashed around without regard of their worth.

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 04:49 PM

thanks ,

the swords are beautiful , and the hamon in the blade is beautifuly visible - well , for that matter all of them are beautiful in my eyes...........but thank you ALL for your help. i think i will get them appriased.

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 04:58 PM

ps ,

NO ONE has , can ,or will touch my swords.
even if they are worth no money , my 81 year old grandfather gave them to me , and in my mind , they are priceless...
thank you all again for your help

blade

Re: help with a name! - 04/04/05 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info on Japanese language, Kenjutsu noob; I thought French was the only language with all syllables equally stressed...

As fot the I, I think I've heard both ways to pronounce it (plus no pronouncing it at all, as you pointed out) but I thought the short lax was the correct one since as a linguist, I know that this type of vowel is much more prone to "disappear" when at the end of a word (the Japanese sound translitterated by the romanji as U obeys to this rule as well).

I would ask my first instructor, since he's Japanese, but unfortunately I won't see him in a long time because I currently live in another country than my own and won't be back to my motherland before at least one month...

Re: help with a name! - 04/05/05 07:41 PM

Wakizashi

"Wa" like in "wad"
"ki" like in "kiff" or "kip"
"Za" like "fa-lalalaaa" with a Z
"shi" like "Sheesh" or "sheeva"

emphasis on the "za"

Maybe they emphasize ALL syllables in Japan when speaking Japanese, but here in America, I've always heard:

"ka-TA-na" ... not ... "KA-TA-NA"

If you go around saying "how do you like my new WAKIZASHI!!!?", people will look at you strangely, or at least think that you're one of those nerds with a overwhelming obsession with another culture.

Re: help with a name! - 04/06/05 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeral51:
Wakizashi

"Wa" like in "wad"
"ki" like in "kiff" or "kip"
"Za" like "fa-lalalaaa" with a Z
"shi" like "Sheesh" or "sheeva"

emphasis on the "za"

Maybe they emphasize ALL syllables in Japan when speaking Japanese, but here in America, I've always heard:

"ka-TA-na" ... not ... "KA-TA-NA"

If you go around saying "how do you like my new WAKIZASHI!!!?", people will look at you strangely, or at least think that you're one of those nerds with a overwhelming obsession with another culture.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't tell the guy to yell out the word! I only capitalized the 'A's to emphasize the fact that all of the syllables are equally stressed, and since he didn't ask for either the American or Japanese pronounciations, I gave him both. Plus you got the pronounciation of the "ki" wrong. It is pronounced like the word "key".

Re: help with a name! - 04/06/05 04:52 PM

my thanks to you all!

blade

Re: help with a name! - 04/10/05 09:50 PM

Are these swords from WWII? (gunto)

What ever period they are from you should find out. They have some neet history. Like the guntos in the later bit of WWII only had the top 1/3 of the blade sharpened because there was no time to fully sharpen a blade. (they didn't need the bottom 2/3s anyway)

Re: help with a name! - 04/11/05 09:24 AM

no , im pretty sure that these are not from ww2, the whole blade is sharp ,like a razor , maybe from an earlier period?
blade
Posted by: ken harding

Re: help with a name! - 04/12/05 06:08 AM

Professional appraisal of the sword will tell you....the tough bi is finding someone to do it. Can anyone help blade with a name?

Re: help with a name! - 04/12/05 04:36 PM

thank you mr. harding,
right now my problem is not findin someone to appraise them , its paying to have it done. i just finished hight school, so my money is kinda tight...ill get it done as soon as i can afford it. for now i put some mineral oil on the blades and put them safely away.

blade