Tameshigiri ("Test-cutting") book release

Posted by: Anonymous

Tameshigiri ("Test-cutting") book release - 04/03/05 10:32 PM

With the widespread interest in tameshigiri (test-cutting), I thought I'd announce the publication of the first book on tameshigiri by Toshishiro Obata-kaiso, the founder and headmaster of shinkendo and a renowned expert on tameshigiri. I believe Dr. Deborah Klens-Bigman, a moderator for this forum, assisted with the editing of the first book on shinkendo; this is the second book, and is entirely about test-cutting.

The title is called "Shinkendo Tameshigiri: Samurai Swordsmanship & Test-Cutting," and covers the history of tameshigiri, its different types (including Obata-kaiso's sword-testing experience), and its role and technique in shinkendo practice.

More information on this release is available in the official press release, on the shinkendo website's instructional materials page, and in the shinkendo forums.

For more information about Obata-kaiso and shinkendo, there's a lot written on the shinkendo website.

Thank you for the lease on bandwidth; this is a publication I thought the sword community would be particularly interested in, especially since tameshigiri is a frequent topic of discussion in this and other forums.

Hajimemashite,
Nicholas Lauridsen

P.S. Thanks again to Dr. Klens-Bigman for her help on the first book!

[This message has been edited by Kennesten (edited 04-03-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kennesten (edited 04-03-2005).]