tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds

Posted by: Anonymous

tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 03/31/05 07:48 PM

I am quite new to sword combat as a whole,
but against what you might think I am not learning strictly by myself. Both of my senseis', one of which is fantastic with the katana and is knowledgeable about edged weapons as a whole, are willing to answer any question I have about it, and have shown me a few basic techniques along with
a basic kata and some breakdown principles
for the sword in general. My sensei's will not teach me, or anyone else really, any sword combat because they say it requires excellent balance and a good working knowledge of body mechanics and proper body alignment because of the ideology that there was no 'one good cut' because every attack was the 'one good cut'. Really, up to this point, myself and one other person in the dojo are the only ones that my sensei's have shown the little that they have to. So, to go forward on my own a little until I have enough proficiency with weapons in their minds to actually be eligible to learn sword. Which combative, not the tai-chi exercise forms, tai-chi instructional tape/dvds out there or masters'/instructors should I look for.
Up until, I never really had a way to sift out what was good and what was not via google. Thank you much
-Demonologist437

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/01/05 03:00 PM

I hate to see a topic wothout replies so......

<reply>

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/02/05 09:23 AM

Demonologist, frankly, I'm having a hard time making out what you are saying. Your teachers refuse to teach you sword because they think you are not good enough, and so you have decided to go behind your back and learn without them.

First off, I would listen to your instructors; they probably have a good reason for not teaching the sword. And you suggest that this is because they think you aren't good enough yet. As your teachers have had far more experience in this field and know you personally, I would suggest that you listen to their advice.

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/02/05 12:49 PM

Benjamin that is a very good point. Though I have not been trying to push my sensei to teach me anything about the tai-chi sword, I have said specifically to my sensei 'I am trying to learn tai-chi sword' but have never asked HIM to teach me. When I did mention that to my sensei though, he seemed quite blaise and said 'allright,' 'but then think about X, Y, Z' and that was pretty much it. In the past and even now, I never try to rush my training at all, I trust my senei's judgement on when I am ready to do so-on-so-forth and do not question it. I have stayed that way about the katana, (which is basically what kind of sword they would be teaching) but perhaps I did let my favor for the tai-chi sword cloud me for a moment. That you for the insight Benjamin.
Rock on man.

[This message has been edited by Demonologist437 (edited 04-02-2005).]

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/06/05 09:14 AM

The Tai Chi sword, should be more accurately called Gim or Jian. Non Tai Chi styles like Shaolin still practice with the same sword.

There are proper coordination between your hip, body and the sword that has to be learned. The angle of your blade has to be precise on defence and offence and should this angle be off depending on the technique, it'll mean you're gonna get cut severely before you take the final blow that'll kill you or you just get killed right away. These things can't be learned to competence without a qualified teacher to show you.

Unfortunately Teachers that actually know how to use this weapon are fewer than the majority out there that teach only forms with this weapon cause they haven't the clue or ability on how to use the Chinese Jian.

Regardless, no Chinese swordsmanship or Japanese swordsmanship cannot be effectively learned through books, videos, movies and cartoons. If you're serious about taking up the sword and pursuing real swordsmanship, don't take it upon yourself to try to learn any form of swordsmanship without a competant knowledgable teacher personally instructing you.

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/12/05 10:17 PM

My advice? Go to China. It's probably the only place you'll find a really qualified instructor.

I've been working with the jian for three years to develop balance and coordination; but I know absolutely nothing about the proper technique. I use it as a training tool.

I do not recommend teaching yourself; work with it all you like.

But you'll still be a ninny swinging a sword (like me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]) instead of a trained practicioner.

[This message has been edited by Yunsung (edited 04-12-2005).]
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: tai-chi sword instructional tape/dvds - 04/14/05 11:09 PM

Bump.

Don't feed the trolls. What a pathetic life these guys lead.