Getting my first "real" katana.....

Posted by: Anonymous

Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/25/05 05:56 PM

As of late I've grown a liking to katanas and items of the sort. So I decided to indulge my interest by buying a sword. Since it was my first I only got a cheap one and it was made adequately enough for its price. Now I wish to buy a "real" katana. All I want is a sturdy sword that can cut and won’t snap in half when used. Just remember that I can't pay over $400 so if you suggest something then regard that limit please.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/25/05 07:05 PM

Go to the Internet and do a search for a "Practical Katana". They are well-made for the money and come in about in that price range depending on who you buy from. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/26/05 02:12 PM

Paul Chen manufactures a Practical Pro Katana these days which are 10 times better than the PK of old. These retail at Mantis Swords for $399.00.
http://www.mantisswords.com

[This message has been edited by Mushin Ryu (edited 03-26-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Mushin Ryu (edited 03-26-2005).]

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/27/05 10:40 AM

That's kind of funny because I had my eyes set on the Practical Pro Katana! I've found a sight that sells it for only $240 which I guess is good judging from the fact that it sells as high as $400+! Well then, I suppose that question is answered!

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/27/05 11:17 AM

Also look into blades by Last Legend, they're Paul Chen's main competitors I think. Maybe a better buy for the money, though that's an opinion thing.

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/27/05 11:26 AM

What kind of katanas do they make?

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/27/05 11:43 AM

Just a gentle word of warning---- and I mean this in the most sincere and supportive way possible.

Most of us don't have tons of money to throw around so I understand if you see a sword called "XYZ" in one place for $400US and a sword by the same name someplace else for $200US. Understand that there is a reason why there is a price difference. Over on SWORD FORUM INTERNATIONAL you will find all kinds of posts about different source for even the same sword. Quality of construction, qualitiy of materials, even "quality control" all figures in. For instance, were I to purchase a sword I would probably go to BUGEI because I know that their quality control has become legend in sword circles. I would also be willing to pay extra to get that benefit. On the otherhand if I just wanted a sword to mess around with (not a good idea but people do it :-( ) a stainless steel wall hanger can be had for $100US. "I" wouldn't buy one, but that doesn't mean other people think like I do.

Please think about what you are going to use the sword for, and if the word "cut" comes up anywhere in the conversation don't try to save a few dollars getting something on the cheap. I am telling you plain-out in front of everybody reading this that you are going to be sorry for the decision and that what you want to do is save for a decent sword than settle for a cheap excuse. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/27/05 12:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the insight! I can see how you're right. After all, a good sword at least costs around $700 (often times at least). Maybe you could look at this sight (http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/index.asp) that someone previously recommended! It looks good to me!

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/28/05 01:14 AM

I noticed that the folks at that website advise that they are the sole distributor for Japanese products. Perhaps if you like the products listed you might want to find out what product lines they are the distributor for (Paul Chen? Nos?) and then contact those firms directly, yes?

I would also go to SFI and do a search function on "nine-circles" to read some of the comments and find out what sorts of experiences folks have had with this company. That may give you more information than only my opinion, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/28/05 01:36 AM

Unfortunately, Chen Chao Po's Hanwei forge does not sell directly to the public. For his best quality products at the best prices, do a google search on, say, chen katana and compare locales and prices. CAS Iberia sells most of his range I think, but Bugei's Chen products are produced exclusively for them and are of superior quality to the run of the mill stuff. I have seen some beautiful customisations at Sword forums of Chen's products.
Good luck.

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/29/05 05:59 AM

Last Legend's blades are designed for cutting, they have a 'tournament' series specifically designed for tournament tameshigiri usage. They've also got 'battle thickness niku' blades as well.

They also feature a unique 1inch sori, which I think looks pretty cool (But they've got 1/2 inch sori blades too)

From their reputation, I gather they are EXCELLENT cutters for the money, but tend to lack the aesthetic appeal of many other swords. However I believe you can buy them with a full polish and they are now completely customizable so... Same price as a PPK, I'd grab a last legends. I came to this conclusion myself after shopping around for a sword, and I decided on a last legends blade and will purchase one sometime in the near future.

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/29/05 05:48 PM

SFI? Sorry but I don't exactely know this term. Nevertheless I'll make sure to check there once I figure out what it is!
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Getting my first "real" katana..... - 03/29/05 06:51 PM

SFI = Sword Forum International = http://www.swordforum.com