Fine Samurai Literature

Posted by: Anonymous

Fine Samurai Literature - 03/22/05 09:32 PM

This is less of a thread and more a note that anyone and everyone interested in the Samurai lifestyle that existed beyond their swords - schools, disciplines, history, social status, ronin, even rice cultivation etc - should read "Secrets of the Samurai" published by Castle Books. Its really a very informative and well-written book. Oh, and if you don't Japanese when you read it, you will by the time your done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Did anyone actually know there was an "Art of Armored Swimming" ? And the sections on the hierarchy of medieval Japan is great! Even goes into extreme detail about Tokugawa shogunate and the preceeding war over it!

And man, O' man, did a lot of people commit suicide back then.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

[This message has been edited by OperationSkinnyNinja (edited 03-22-2005).]

Re: Fine Samurai Literature - 03/25/05 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OperationSkinnyNinja:
...everyone interested in the Samurai lifestyle that existed beyond their swords - schools, disciplines, history, social status, ronin, even rice cultivation etc - should read "Secrets of the Samurai" published by Castle Books. Its really a very informative and well-written book. Oh, and if you don't Japanese when you read it, you will by the time your done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That sounds like an interesting book. I may have to check it out. thanks for posting it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

~Glenn
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Fine Samurai Literature - 03/25/05 02:58 PM

Used to be that I tried to post as many titles as possible to make sure people were getting exposed to top-notch material. What I found was that a.) people were not as interested in things that did not go along with their views and b.) people seemed reluctant to read well-written material, copping instead to read material that was more novel or romanticized things. The up-shot is that now I do more recommending authors than books. If folks are intersted in Japanese Warrior culture and older more traditional ways of looking at things Japanese MA you may want to consider the following.

Dave Lowry.

Meik/Diane Skoss

Ellis Amdur

Don Draeger

Karl Friday.

I have found nothing written about Japanese traditions by any of these folks that was not top-notch and a joy to own. FWIW.

BTW: AMAZON.COM, HALF.Com and ABE Books usually have used copies of these authors for a fraction of what it costs new.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

[This message has been edited by glad2bhere (edited 03-25-2005).]

Re: Fine Samurai Literature - 04/12/05 02:50 AM

I concur with Glad2Bhere.

Any books by Donn F. Draeger, Dianne & Meik Skoss, Ellis Amdur, Prof. Karl Friday and Dave Lowry are some of the most informative, culturally & historically accurate books on classical Japanese martial arts you will find.

After that, there are some classical texts that have been translated into English from the original Japanese that are related to budo and the Buke. Mainly the texts translated by William Scott Wilson, Thomas cleary & Sato Hiroaki are the most preferred by scholars and practicioners in Japan.

Fudochi Shinmyoroku(The Unfettered Mind) - Takuan Soho

Budoshohinshu (Genpon Gendaiyaku) - Daidoji Yuzan

Gorin No Sho (The book of five rings)- Miyamoto Musashi

Heiho Kadensho (The Life Giving Sword/The Sword & The Mind) - Yagyu Munenori

Hagakure (The Book Of The Samurai)- Yamamoto Tsunetomo