Sword Art

Posted by: Anonymous

Sword Art - 03/22/05 12:19 PM

I want to learn a sword art that would accurately represent Sword Fighting in the medieval times so that I would be skilled at fighting like they would in the old times. Also I would preferably learn a Middle Eastern or Arabic sword art or any other martial arts from these regions that are historic.

I would like to learn these arts because I think Sword arts and Empty hand Combat are the proper way to fight...and guns require not much skill and are more about luck
Posted by: cxt

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 12:35 PM

Good for you?

Actually the proper use of a firearm often requires a great deal of skill.

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 12:37 PM

Sorry actually I forgot to add a bit on the eng...I want to learn a sword art and everything thats up there...I was kinda hoping people could tell me which martial art or sword art I should take.

Also I know guns require skill..what i meant was that anyone can pull a trigger

Any suggestions on Arabian/middle eastern sword arts and martial arts and fighting style would be welcome

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 01:13 PM

Guy

To be honest I am not aware of any extent schools of middle eastern sword.

Not in the sense of an organised school.

Kinda hope I am wrong about that, would hate to think that those methods have vanished.

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 01:23 PM

What about Sword Arts that accurately portray how sword fights would have been fought, i.e. none of the glamour that could not have been used in a battlefield...but rather a sword art that teaches fighting in a sword battle...

Also please anyone tell me anything they know about the ancient middle eastern/arabian fighting style/ sword arts

Thanks
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 01:40 PM

Anyone can swing a blade too. The difference is how effective you are at swinging a blade or shooting.

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 01:48 PM

Fair point anyone CAN swing a blade or fire a gun...difference is...when defending a gun you pretty much can't do **** ...whereas when defending someone with a sword its only your skill that can let you down

Re: Sword Art - 03/22/05 02:14 PM

Guy

There are plenty of Asian schools, and a number of "Western" schools,that can show you how to use a blade as they did back in the day.

Just don't know any Middle eastern/arabic schools.

Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower? Work with what you CAN find, until you get to what you "really" want.

My guess is that as rare as they are, finding a JSA or a Western one is going to be much easier to find and authenticate as being "real."

Just a suggestion.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 03-22-2005).]

Re: Sword Art - 03/23/05 04:16 AM

I watched a documentary on an ancient indian martial art called Kalaripayatt. They use swords as well as practicing open hand combat.

Good luck finding a school though, I think they're pretty rare!

For more info: http://www.isma-kalari.com/Kalaripayatt.htm

Re: Sword Art - 03/23/05 08:56 PM

There are no surviving Middle Eastern/Arabic sword traditions that I am aware of. Ditto for the Turks (Saljuq, Ottoman, etc).

The Turks primarily made use of sabers of various types. The original curved saber used by various steppe peoples was known in Europe by the 8th century AD/CE, and was known there as the gladius Hunniscus. The classic Persian saber was the shamshir (which became corrupted as simitara in Italian, and then "scimitar" in English). In use by the Ottomans was the shorter, heavier kilij. The yataghan--one of the most beautiful short swords ever made--featured a forward-swept blade which was still functional for thrusting (a really practical design). Finally, there was the mec, a specialized, narrow-bladed thrusting sword of European inspiration.

IIRC, the Mamluks practiced test-cutting by slicing into mounds of wet clay.

The Turkish "manly arts" included horsemanship, archery, swordsmanship, & wrestling. Their wrestling has at least survived, and the Turks are still strong in international competition.