Solo Practice

Posted by: Anonymous

Solo Practice - 03/08/05 06:05 AM

Hi everyone, I have only been training in Iaido & Jodo since Jan 4th this year, and I like it so much I haven't missed a lesson yet.

To help broaden my view on how to train inbetween lessons, I was wondering what kind of solo training routines do any of you get up to?

Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Solo Practice - 03/08/05 07:01 AM

Iaido already lends itself to solo practice. You should walk away from each class with a list of things your doing wrong. Working on those specific things until next class is your safest bet. I wouldn't try to work on things you aren't absolutely sure you're doing wrong. Too much solo practice too early is a good way to build bad habbits. Don't over do it.

For Jodo, does your dojo have a list of drills that you do solo at the beginning of each class? That's probably you're best solo training regimen right there.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Solo Practice - 03/09/05 11:09 AM

I only have Iaido twice a week. So I spend anywhere from a half hour to an hour working on the material I learned from class everyday. Most of the time I don't go over everything I learned from class when I'm doing solo practice outside of class. I may spend some days working on selected wazas or just spend a half hour doing only kirioroshi.