Whats the Difference?

Posted by: Anonymous

Whats the Difference? - 03/06/05 10:18 PM

Yeah i was just wonderin... there a lot of threads around that say either Kenjitsu (or however its spelled) or kendo? I'm here to say, whats the difference betwwen Kendo and Kenjitsu? I really dont know and im a begginer so give me some highlights or something.

-Sam
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/06/05 10:27 PM

A very basic description would be that kendo is a sport aspect of Japanese sword fighting while kenjutsu tends to refer to old school Japanese sword training designed for combat. Many techniques in kenjutsu would not be allowed in kendo.

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/07/05 09:45 AM

The difference is a big one. If you go beyond technique to the more important things, the mental and spiritual attitudes that are too often glanced over in sword teaching in most school in favor of merely focusing on the physical movements alone, the differences are big. For starters, there is almost no risk in Kendo. Practitioners wear a lot of protection, and there is so little risk in turn that what little there is is negligable. Some would argue that it teaches proper reflexes and gives one good timing, but this is all subordinate to the fact that, at the end of the day, there is no risk. fear is a powerful thing, and kendo can only help one, perhaps, overcome fear of their own egos, not of a real enemy, and not of death. We overcome our fears by having to face them, and if you have never faced death, it is definetly hard to overcome ones fear of it. It is hard to begin with, but putting on protective gear so you can not get hurt, and using a hollow sword made from our slips of bamboo so you can not get hurt, and then commence to whacking at one another, well, you can see how it is not no longer a martial art, a combat art, and now merely a game. It is for points, not for life, and many of the blows work for kendo. It is what it is, a game, and if any of you arefamiliar with the SCA, or other such re- nactment groups, it is no different really, although some can and may disagree. Kenjitsu, a generic term refering to Japanese swordsmanship, as to which there are dozens of schools of, it teaches things tht are much different, and geared for different purposes. Kendo is merely a shadow and a game, based upon what is casting that shadow, nothing more, just like chess is a shadow of actual war on larger scale. They share similarities, but they are definitely not the same.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/07/05 09:50 AM

Wow. I suspect there are some kendo folks online who would love nothing better than to strap some bogu on you and really let loose. Believe me there is plenty of room for injury in Kendo. I find a lot of what you wrote about Kendo to be offensive and I'm not a kendoka and likely never will be.

On what do you base your assesment of kendo? Ever tried it?

And if the kendo method of full force sparring is flawed, what would you propose to replace it? Keep in mind that this form of sparring was founded by kenjutsu folks.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 03-07-2005).]

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/07/05 10:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
Wow. I suspect there are some kendo folks online who would love nothing better than to strap some bogu on you and really let loose. Believe me there is plenty of room for injury in Kendo. I find a lot of what you wrote about Kendo to be offensive and I'm not a kendoka and likely never will be.
Look, I was not looking to ruffle feathers, I am speaking academically, if you choose to take offense then that has to do with your control, it was merely an opinion. You are a rather adversarial fellow, and seem to take things more personally then you should. Cock of the roost mentality and all that. Challenging me merely to challenge me is not going to help you learn, or teach much of anything to people here, dont you agree? If you were offended, sorry, and yes I have done it, I have been practicing my art for 24 years, not that that means much unless you know how I have been practicing it of course. But no, I am no green horn if thats what you were hoping for. Again, sorry you took offense, but why so much curiosity in me, is it really that hard for you to take anyone challenging your assertions, or have you never ruffled any feathers. I doubt that seriously, and would enjoy talking to you further, but please drop the righteously indignant I would like to kick your ass attitude, caue it really gets you no where, and will just cause me to ignore you and not like and admire you. Be well. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

On what do you base your assesment of kendo? Ever tried it?

And if the kendo method of full force sparring is flawed, what would you propose to replace it? Keep in mind that this form of sparring was founded by kenjutsu folks.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 03-07-2005).]
[/QUOTE]
Posted by: cxt

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/07/05 10:34 AM

Sword

????????????

I'm sure you had SOME kind of point here.

Other than NOT answering direct questions I mean.

But I gotta ask, why re-post Charles post??

Kinda got it the first time.

Re: Whats the Difference? - 03/07/05 10:50 AM

There are a few major differences

Weapon:
Kenjitsu mostly uses a bokken, a wooden sword. In older times, "non-lethal" duels were fought with bokken, but significant injuries and smashed bones were common, and there were occasionally bodies to bury.
This led to the development of the Kendo shinai, a bamboo pole which, though it may cause injury, will most likely not kill you.

Style:
Kenjistu, the art of the sword, is mostly solo drills. You are trained to fight with a katana, but rarely, if ever, do you spar, for the reasons stated above.
Kendo, the way of the sword, is a sport similar to fencing. You don padded armor and fight your opponent until someone scores and wins.

ST, I agree with Charles. Your post is an insult to both kendoka and fencers. Simply because we prefer to leave a tournament with our bones intact does not mean that it is any less a combat art. I don't know who you think you are, but such sweeping, arrogant statements are intolerable.