Cryo Treatment

Posted by: Anonymous

Cryo Treatment - 02/26/05 11:05 PM

Has anybody heard about cryogenic treatment? If so, is it good? Are there any bad things about it?

Re: Cryo Treatment - 02/26/05 11:36 PM

I have heard both positive and negative comments regarding cryogenic treatment for swords and am unable to give a valid opinion. It's one of those topics which will undoubtedly attract some while repelling others. try visiting www.cryogenic-tempering.net for a better idea.

Re: Cryo Treatment - 02/27/05 04:08 PM

Cryogenic tempering does improve the durability of a sword, however, to my knowledge, most methods also make it more brittle, some extremely so (see the bottom of Mushin's link for an example).

Angelsword at least, has had tremendous success with their cryo treatment. They also did a study of its affect on different materials with very good results (yes, that's one of Angelsword's pages), of course, Mr. Watson claims that his thermocycle treatment is quite different from standard cryo processing, so understand that his results can't extend to other treatments.

Re: Cryo Treatment - 02/27/05 09:49 PM

ive heard from my sempai that the near 0 kelvin makes the molecules compress so much that they in fact re/align themselves and that there is no down side he's heard of.
he says that the supposed realignment is very usefull for cutting blades so they keep the edge longer. my sempai in question is an ex-navy seal, ex-swat, ex-street cop, and a current homicide detective. his extra information on the subject is that military gun barrels have been cryo treated for years now and that it greatly improves harmonics, which are the vibrations on the gun as it is fired. the improved part would be that the virbations are alot more uniform and less random so the acuracy is gerasticly improved.

if ive been mis informed please post so that we may all learn.

Re: Cryo Treatment - 02/28/05 03:45 PM

Carbon nanotube swords will be popular =)
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Cryo Treatment - 02/28/05 08:22 PM

With who?

Re: Cryo Treatment - 03/04/05 07:15 PM

with who um... who?