Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject

Posted by: Anonymous

Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/02/05 10:47 PM

I want all swordsmanship nuts to have fun here. So, don't swear or argue an this thread please.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 06:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadowdragon:
I want all swordsmanship nuts to have fun here. So, don't swear or argue an this thread please.[/QUOTE]

Uh, that's fine--but what's the topic?
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 07:03 AM

There isn't one. That's why this clever little plan to create a thread with no discussion is likely to succeed.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 07:10 AM

Right...

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 08:44 AM

I want all swordsmanship nuts to have fun here. So, don't swear or argue an this thread please.[/QUOTE]
I see. So are we having fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 02-03-2005).]
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 12:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
There isn't one. That's why this clever little plan to create a thread with no discussion is likely to succeed.[/QUOTE]

It worked for Seinfeld, didn't it? A show about... Nothing!

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 02:07 PM

Ok, not serious, but stay on topic with the forum to not get the locked. Ummm...

Girls!

Girls with swords.

Girls with swords are hot.

I should probably shut up before I look like more of an idiot than I already do.

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 02-03-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 02:23 PM

Please, do not use the words "swordsmanship" and "nuts" in the same sentence. It makes me very uncomfortable. Thank you.

oldman

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 02-03-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/03/05 07:18 PM

well old man, i am sorry. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. As for everyone else, it's a forum in which you can start talking about you r own subject as I said, "'cause it's an open subject"

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/04/05 07:21 AM

As long as we don't contradict each other?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/04/05 08:28 AM

Anyone watch Samurai Champloo?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/04/05 10:10 AM

well old man, i am sorry. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. As for everyone else, it's a forum in which you can start talking about you r own subject as I said, "'cause it's an open subject"[/QUOTE]

I cannot speak for the mentally ill with edged weapons but my anxious testicles accept your gracious apology.

oldman

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/06/05 12:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman:
I cannot speak for the mentally ill with edged weapons but my anxious testicles accept your gracious apology.

oldman
[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/06/05 06:43 PM

DEATH TO AOL-SPEAK! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 02-08-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/06/05 07:44 PM

That's not AOL-SPEAK. LMAO and a few other abbreviations like ROFL and IMHO go all the way back to USENET news groups, and quite probably back all the way to private BBS systems.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure Charly here's right. Old man, what's with that cause I wasn't coming on to you. Anyway, abbreviations like that have been used since at least WWII in the radio transmissions.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 12:14 PM

I'm pretty sure Charly here's right. Old man, what's with that cause I wasn't coming on to you. Anyway, abbreviations like that have been used since at least WWII in the radio transmissions.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate on how something like "LMAO" was used for radio? A similar code would be used for log keeping but not for talking on a radio. Code words would be used for radio but it was and is nothing like "LMAO".

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 01:17 PM

Morse Code perhaps?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 03:16 PM

alright....well laf you caught me in a jam. I could say friends might use them when bad-mouthing eachother in a forbidden zone. Or how about when men were allowed to talk to their girlfriends. I'm pretty sure they'd say cfm instead of come **** me. I mean I don't know for sure, and if it came across in that time period it was for probably one of these reasons.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 03:57 PM

My point was you don't use something like "lmao" over a radio. LMAO is just a form of type speak and has been around as long as there has been "instantaneous" or semi-instantaneous written transmission. I'm sure it could have been used before BBS systems but it has been used more frequently in situations like instant messenger where people are trying to get their word across quickly. It’s been a big part of computers since their beginning. Acronyms aren't used over radio either. What is used is either code words or actual codes that need to built and broken using the code book designated for that circuit. I can't go into detail about what the code would look like but it would be a series of letters and numbers with tacs and periods. Letters are said phonetically (alfa, bravo, charlie, etc.) and have nothing to do with the word or groups of words they represent.

Morse code is just a series of beeps and pauses in designated patterns that represent letters.

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm
http://www.netlexikon.akademie.de/NATO-phonetic-alphabet.html#History_and_use

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 02-07-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 04:29 PM

Yes I know what Morse code is Laf, but telegraphs seem like an ideal breeding ground for abbreviations such as these.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 09:26 PM

Yes I know what Morse code is Laf, but telegraphs seem like an ideal breeding ground for abbreviations such as these. [/QUOTE]

I was sure you did but i wanted to make sure some yahoo didn't come in and go off on a wild tangent. That's my job.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 11:29 PM

ok, so to keep it on topic [sort of], there was a guy who cut up 2 women badly with a sword a year or so back, then murdered a guy by shooting him in the back 25 times. He is up in front of the court at present for sentancing. Nice sort of chap... NOT!

The press are all calling it a samurai sword [ie a katana] but I saw some pix of it and it was a straight bladed sword. I only got a glimpse but I think it had a tassle hanging off the handle too.

Would I be right in saying it was a straight bladed ninjitsu sword or some form of chinese or kungfu sword?? If so what would it be likely to be?

The blade appeared quite thin in comparison to the tsuka. Didn't see the saya.

Any ideas??? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/07/05 11:54 PM

Since the ninja-to isn't exactly a traditional sword i guess it could have a tassel if he wanted it to. It would also depend on what company made it. With so many variations and interpretations of different swords being made it's hard to tell with out seeing it. I've seen "katana" with tassels. They were running about $30 a set of three, go figure.

Maybe if you could find a picture of something similar.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/08/05 02:59 PM

It sounds like a Chinese Jian, Reki, but I'm having trouble finding an article that can confirm that theory. Would you mind giving us a link?

Is this the sort of sword there?
[IMG]http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~msb46/prod_sword4.jpg[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 02-08-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/08/05 04:39 PM

I was thinking of something along these lines.
http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-sw-09.html

But you know the media, every thing is a samurai sword. It could very well have been any kind of sword.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/08/05 05:00 PM

Well... I know my katanas aren't exactly thin. They aren't tasseled either. It's not that hard to but, why would he waste the time buying a fancy katana anyways. You can get a mock-up sting(lord of the rings) for much less $

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/08/05 05:51 PM

Hey you coming around jess cause I'm off

(no laf not leaving the sight permanently just getting off the net for an hour or two)

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/08/05 08:46 PM

Thanks guys! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I only got a very brief glimpse of the pic of the sword on the TV news, so all I really took in was the fact that it was a straight bladed sword and had a red tassle on the end - looks similar to both of these pix you've kindly found for me.

Here's the news item if you are interested.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=10009978

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/09/05 07:20 AM

Sounds like a cheap knockoff. The article states that the sword broke.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/10/05 01:39 AM

yes thats basically what I thought too.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/14/05 10:31 PM

that guy right there gives us a bad name.hell, a rapier is a samurai sword, a longsword is a samurai sword. under informed people and the media make us look bad.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/15/05 02:31 PM

I saw the sword again on TV news the other night.

It was definitely a straight bladed sword, the ito on the tsuka did not appear to be a conventional Japanese style.

It reminded me of a european straight bladed sword and appeared to be wrapped perpendicular to the blade instead of the criss/cross style that katanas have.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/15/05 03:06 PM

you sould sew there ***** for making you all look bad [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/15/05 08:40 PM

What kind of stitch would you use for that you reckon?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/15/05 09:20 PM

JK, you might think that putting *'s makes you look cool and grown up, but it doesn't. It makes you look foolish.

Also, we don't want to win a Stella award do we?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/15/05 11:12 PM

This really sucks they make us all look real bad!! I have a mind to teach the world what a real katana is, seriously how about everybody does something to get recognition as to what swords are what. I don't mean kill anyone but try to get yourself on the news along with local swordsmen. I don't think this is a bad idea so Spokanians e-mail me at demonologist70@yahoo.com we should see who can get in. Like maybe do our own thing at a park involving the kendo club and some duels. Well these news people **** ... so why don't we parade around with our katanas or other swords attached to our sides and show the world what a sword is.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/16/05 08:04 AM

Perhaps because the sword is an instrument of death, and I'd just as soon the world in general not know we exist at all? It's the best way to be left in peace really. Can you imagine say, the NRA doing something like this? Parading around with their rifles strapped to their back and pistols in holsters?

Keeping our heads down and participating in the odd Japanese festival or other events in that sort of setting is really the best that can be done.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/16/05 09:35 AM

I've been thinking about rallying the Texans for a march on Austin, but I haven't gotten very far myself. The only way such a thing might work is if we phrase such a rally as an "equal rights for civilized weaponry" march, getting swordsmen the same rights to carry as gunmen. Otherwise, we would be viewed as lunatics.

Oddly enough, we would not be breaking the law by doing such a thing. If a pro-sword protest is not an "activity or sport" which requires a weapon, what is?

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/16/05 10:00 AM

I know a lot of the Texans who train in legitimate Japanes koryu sword arts. I seriously doubt your gonna get support from anyone I know. We don't want to wear swords in public. There is no legitimate reason to. It can only lead to trouble.

Oh and Texans do not have the right to wear a gun on their hip in public. The law requires for the weapon to be concealed. Equal rights would not get you what you want as you would have to conceal the sword in some fashion, which lets face it, isn't really possible.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 02-16-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/16/05 05:26 PM

One main reason for concealing the weapon is a situation tends to escalate much faster when a weapon is in plain view. Walking around with a sword would almost "invite" a confrontation since many people ignorant of the arts would look at you as if you think your some kind of tough guy. It's not practical. I'm from TX and can tell you i don't know of anyone there or here that would be interested in such an escapade.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/16/05 11:01 PM

i agree with laf. wearing a sword is just looking for a confrontation. and having to conceal it would be even worse, think about it what if some one saw this concealed tool of deaths design they would panic big time just like if they saw a concealed gun and with a blade closing on 3 feet long panic is never a good thing.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/17/05 09:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SwordCritter:
i agree with laf. wearing a sword is just looking for a confrontation. and having to conceal it would be even worse, think about it what if some one saw this concealed tool of deaths design they would panic big time just like if they saw a concealed gun and with a blade closing on 3 feet long panic is never a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Particularly if the person panicking has a concealed firearm.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/17/05 10:11 AM

Members,
I do not practice the sword arts but I will say this. For the seasoned practioner it seems to produce patience. Mr. Mahan and Iaf have the patience of Job. I tend to steer clear of the forum so that I'm not tempted beyond what I'm able to bear. I'd prefer to leave at least one forum
unmarred by my well honed brand of sarcasm. Good job guys.

oldman

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/17/05 01:37 PM

What kind of stitch would you use for that you reckon?[/QUOTE]

chain or blanket stitch probably... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I agree these guys do make all MA look bad however there's no point in making trouble, and as Charles has already said, the less that people see or know maybe the better.

I'd be a bit reluctant to carry my katana about in public, plus it wouldn't match my shoes or handbag. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/25/05 08:26 PM

I know that these posts are pretty old, but I think it would be kind of cool to carry a katana around with you. Although I do not think that it is a very good idea to.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/28/05 12:35 AM

As to earlier comments. I'm just tired of everything being assumed as a samurai-sword. I personally have no need for that. I started wearing my main katana in my front yard but that's as far as I'll push it at the moment. I don't know if it's illegal or not. I just can't wait for laser swords or something I say I'll just develope a techniqe to rival a machine-gun. If that works I'll pretty much be invincible. I keep thinking about the war that will eventually ensue where swordsmen and gunmen are on opposite sides.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 02/28/05 10:23 AM

That happened ocassionally between US marines and Japanese forces in the pacific during WWII. Didn't go so well for the sword folks.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/04/05 06:44 PM

That may be true but they were doing nothing to train themselves against guns. If you've trained yourself to be able to contend with the most powerful gun you know of. If you have that technique you could defeat the american army with ease. It's just the fact that no-one but those trained have respect. YOu put me in a duel with a guy who has a gun on his side, I'll cut him down before he draws his gun. No-one respects a swordsman.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/04/05 08:30 PM

Ok fine. A friend of mine was a marine. Pretty sure he could gun you down from a good 1500 meter range(that's 15 football fields away). He was also fond of reminding me that there isn't anything on the average city block(including engine blocks) that could stop a .50 cal round.

You're dreaming dude. A competent person with a gun is gonna ruin your day from well outside your range.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/04/05 10:16 PM

Ok fine. A friend of mine was a marine. Pretty sure he could gun you down from a good 1500 meter range(that's 15 football fields away). He was also fond of reminding me that there isn't anything on the average city block(including engine blocks) that could stop a .50 cal round.

You're dreaming dude. A competent person with a gun is gonna ruin your day from well outside your range.
[/QUOTE]

The outcome could also be dependant on how far you are from the gunman and how fast you are at drawing. There are a lot of different factors that could determine the end result of a fight between a gunman and a swordsman.

I read about and hear these type of arguments all of the time. Muay Thai versus boxing, Krav Maga versus Karate, Iaijutsu versus Kenjutsu, Ninjutsu versus Kenjutsu, Jujutsu versus Brazilian Jujutsu, kickboxing versus Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do/Hapkido, full contact versus point-sparring (the only one that I take a side on based on first hand experience involving myself and other fighters from my gym), koryu versus anything created in the last fifty years. I've heard it all, and each and every last one of those arguments is moot until you find enough practitioners of each art that are willing to help you conduct an experiment.

Until someone decides to conduct an experiment pitting 400 gunmen versus 400 swordsmen in different scenarios, with different types of guns, different sword styles, and different skill levels no one can make an accurate claim stating which side would win in a life or death confrontation.

[This message has been edited by kenjutsu n00b (edited 03-04-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/05/05 08:15 AM

As to earlier comments. I'm just tired of everything being assumed as a samurai-sword. I personally have no need for that. I started wearing my main katana in my front yard but that's as far as I'll push it at the moment. I don't know if it's illegal or not.[/QUOTE]

I once heard of a law that says that if the katana is in the saya it is considered concealed.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/05/05 11:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenjutsu n00b:
There are a lot of different factors that could determine the end result of a fight between a gunman and a swordsman.[/QUOTE]

Sure...say if the gunman was asleep.

I read about and hear these type of arguments all of the time. Muay Thai versus boxing, Krav Maga versus Karate, Iaijutsu versus Kenjutsu, Ninjutsu versus Kenjutsu, Jujutsu versus Brazilian Jujutsu, kickboxing versus Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do/Hapkido, full contact versus point-sparring (the only one that I take a side on based on first hand experience involving myself and other fighters from my gym)[/QUOTE]

You're talking apples to apples here. But a sword vs a gun is not apples to apples. It's a hand held weapon vs. a missile. Huge difference. Missiles advanced through history and swords did not because the sword guys realized that was a confrontation that was not in their favor.

Until someone decides to conduct an experiment pitting 400 gunmen versus 400 swordsmen in different scenarios, with different types of guns, different sword styles, and different skill levels no one can make an accurate claim stating which side would win in a life or death confrontation.[/QUOTE]

Okay. Sign me up for the gun side. I'll play. Actually, CM hit it right on the head. The S. Pacific was full of "experiments" of just that nature.

Seriously. There is a reason swords are no longer a serious threat in modern day warfare. They're simply too limited in their ability. Do you really think any of the ancient arts would have retreated into history if they weren't forced to by ever improving weapons and styles of combat? I love the sword but let's keep in perspective what its abilities are and are not.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/05/05 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gemini:

Okay. Sign me up for the gun side. I'll play. Actually, CM hit it right on the head. The S. Pacific was full of "experiments" of just that nature.

Seriously. There is a reason swords are no longer a serious threat in modern day warfare. They're simply too limited in their ability. Do you really think any of the ancient arts would have retreated into history if they weren't forced to by ever improving weapons and styles of combat? I love the sword but let's keep in perspective what its abilities are and are not.

[/QUOTE]

The reason guns and other related weapons were created were to be able to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. The fact that you are a gunman makes your opinion biased. It is almost a given you were gonna say that a gunman would win.

You also completely missed the point I made in my last post. What I was trying to say was that we could both go on forever arguing over who would win, all the while giving good points and going no where.

In defense of swordsmen is that a person may have a gun an trained with it, but may not have the mindset to actually kill with it. Or, maybe the swordsman is close enough to perform a quick draw and chop off the gunmans arm before he can shoot. Or, the gunman holstered the gun behind them in their pants, and the extra time to draw their gun is all the swordsman needed to cut him in half. Do you see how this argument could go on and on?

My experiment idea was just a way to kill the argument and shut both sides up, regardless of weapon, ryu, style, or training methods.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/05/05 01:38 PM

Such a lovely idea for a thread - such a brutal, quick ending.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/05/05 06:30 PM

The fact that you are a gunman makes your opinion biased. It is almost a given you were gonna say that a gunman would win.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I take 2 sword arts, HDGD and Kendo. It's because I have experience with both types of weapons that makes my opinion biased.

You also completely missed the point I made in my last post.[/QUOTE]

No. I completely understood what your point was, I just don't agree with it.

My experiment idea was just a way to kill the argument and shut both sides up
[/QUOTE]

I'll buy that. I'm done.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/09/05 04:55 AM

konichiwa minasan... can anyone please post a sakabatou pics... i'm having troble finding them on the net... some of the images are too small... is there a pic that looks like kenshin's sakabatou... thanks in advance!!!...

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/09/05 04:08 PM

I would suggest that you simply do a search on Google. You do know that the sword is fictional, and that you should in no way ever consider buying a weapon from a company that would forge a foolish weapon like that, right? Good.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/09/05 08:19 PM

Contrary to some of the rhetoric, sakabatou replicas are not entirely without value for some folks. They make just as much sense as purchasing a lightsaber replica. They are good for memorobilia collectors and costumes. Useless of course as training weapons.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/10/05 02:37 AM

Yup! i know that the sakabatou never existed and was only made for the anime. im just a stupid little boy who loves sword... sorry mr.mahan... ^_^x

[This message has been edited by HiToKiRi_08 (edited 03-10-2005).]

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/11/05 11:34 PM

what is the purpose of habaki (katana part)? i started to worry cause i'm planning to buy paul chen practical katana and i just heard that its habaki is made of plastik and it will brake when used.. so im not gonna spend my last money on it if thats true.. exept if it's not fatal flaw and can be replaced when/if broken.

Re: Is there anyone who dosen't want to argue, 'cause this is an open subject - 03/12/05 08:06 AM

I wouldn't buy a Paul Chen in any case. Not the Practical series anyway. I haven't heard of a plastic habaki. Sure you've got the right part? Check Richard Stein's Japanese Sword Index. There is a visual glossary of sword parts there. You can find the site by searching google with the name of the site.