How exactly does a switch blade work

Posted by: Anonymous

How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 04:10 PM

Does a reverse blades blade twurl around or does it have a edge on both sides. I notice in Rouroni Kenshin, that he uses a reverse blade and it is somehow perfect for Battoujutsu. Sinse i dont know how a reverse blade works I do not understand his moves and tactics.
Please help
Thank You

Re: How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 04:28 PM

sry i meant reverse blade
Posted by: Amos Smith

Re: How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 05:00 PM

good one.

Re: How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 05:54 PM

A "switch blade" is a knife that comes out by button or centripetal force. You could probably come out with a design in five minutes.

A reverse blade works at the needs of plot. It doesn't exist in any traditional fighting style for the single reason that it isn't useful in fighting. It is madness to have the side you use for impact dull while weakening the back side of the blade, which takes the stress in combat. It was invented for Kenshin because the author needed him to go up against real blades (so it couldn't be a bokken) and always have the temptation to turn the blade and kill (eliminating the Iaito), while symbolizing his oath to never slay another human again.

Therefore, the reverse blade can do what the author says it can do; nothing more, nothing less.

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 01-29-2005).]
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 11:23 PM

Please feel free to search the forum archives. Sakabatou have been discussed MANY times. It's become quite the pet peave of our bedraggled forum moderator.

They are not real, except in terms of replicas put out as memorbillia for the anime/manga series. They are not real in a historical sense.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: How exactly does a switch blade work - 01/29/05 11:35 PM

[QUOTE]It's become quite the pet peave of our bedraggled forum moderator.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if i should be taking offense to that or not. Are you saying i'm wet and limp or dilapidated?