Had my first Kendo lesson...

Posted by: Anonymous

Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/22/05 07:07 PM

And it was exactly what I was hoping for. Something that will require a lot of hard work and determination, and is a lot of fun!

Thanks for the advice I was given a while back.

I'm assuming that "Kiai" will get easier to do? Not only is it extraordinarily embarassing to me, it's kind of hard to concentrate on my footwork while I'm yelling. It's also hard to yell for long periods of time...

- Denker

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/22/05 07:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Denker:
And it was exactly what I was hoping for. Something that will require a lot of hard work and determination, and is a lot of fun!

Thanks for the advice I was given a while back.

I'm assuming that "Kiai" will get easier to do? Not only is it extraordinarily embarassing to me, it's kind of hard to concentrate on my footwork while I'm yelling. It's also hard to yell for long periods of time...

- Denker
[/QUOTE]

Half your luck! I'm stuck on an island where only three other people have heard of Kendo. Luckily for me they are all mad on the sword arts and we can get together and help each other out as we all have different styles in our background.

Keep up the good work.

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/22/05 07:22 PM

Yeeeurgh, I'm sorry. I hope that goes well for you...

I've recently learned to not even attempt to teach yourself a sword art. Not even practice it before hand. Really, it seems quite simple in theory... well it's not. (This is in relation to a previous thread of mine)

I know what you mean when it comes to barely anyone ever having heard of Kendo . . . I say something about it to my friends, sadly some of which are interested greatly in Japanese culture, and I draw blank stares. It's... kinda like going to a gun shop, and asking about Matchlock, and having people ask what you're talking about.

I want to practice some of the footwork I learned . . . But I hurt too much to. I'll settle for getting into and out of seiza for tonight.

Also, I don't suppose any of you have the pronunciations for Kendo terminology offhand do you? I don't have time to look for them right now.

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/22/05 07:34 PM

Check this out for terminology! http://www.boston-kendo.com/glossary.htm

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/22/05 10:02 PM

[QUOTE]

I've recently learned to not even attempt to teach yourself a sword art. Not even practice it before hand. Really, it seems quite simple in theory... well it's not.[/QUOTE]

I'm basing my training on years of Arnis and haven't had any problems so far. Believe me, I have infinite respect for sharp edges.

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/23/05 02:51 PM

Thanks alev, but I need the pronunciations. Like "Hai is pronounced 'Hi'"

As do I Mushin, I just didn't have a concept of what learning a martial art entailed.

Also, I'm having trouble fitting my tsuba onto my shinai. I don't want to force it, and I'm not sure if I may have been given the improper size? That is, of course, assuming they come in sizes. Should I just apply some heavy force into getting it on?

[This message has been edited by Denker (edited 01-23-2005).]

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/23/05 08:55 PM

Try: www.aikiweb.com/language/audio.html
Posted by: A Yarbrough

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/28/05 11:16 AM

Denker,

Regarding the tsuba -- it is possible they gave you one that is too small. If it's only a little snug, you can take some sandpaper and work away some of the plastic to open up the hole a little. Of course, if it seems way too small, I would recommend going back to where you bought your shinai and getting another tsuba. Tsubas for shinais sizes 37, 38, 39 should all be relatively the same size (as the sizes indicate differences in the length of the shinai), so if it is way too small, maybe they gave you one to fit a child's shinai (sz 36 or something) -- although I've never actually held a small size shinai to see what the difference in tsuka circumference is.

By the way, congrats on starting Kendo. I've only been practicing Kendo for 3 years, and I really enjoy all aspects of training.

Another useful site for you on the web is www.kendo-world.com. It has a wealth of Kendo info. Also, check out AUSKF.info -- it's the All US Kendo Federation site.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Yarbrough
Raleigh, NC

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 01/29/05 12:26 AM

Mushin, thanks a lot for the audio clips. That link is going to really come in handy.

Yarbrough, yeah, the Tsuba was too small. I bought it directly from the Dojo, so they fitted me with a proper one when I asked about it.

Yeah, I love the feeling I get from lessons. I'm really being humbled though, it's nice to have at least five different people come up, at different times, and show you what you're doing wrong. But it's even better to get home and remember what they told you and showed you, unlike I was able to do 5 minutes after they showed me...

Thanks for the links, I bookmarked them and I'll check them out when I have the time, and am not so tired. My second lesson was tonight, and I'm dead now.

Thank you guys for your assistance.

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 02/01/05 11:54 PM

how do i find the right shinai for me

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 02/02/05 09:29 PM

Listen, I think you should test sizes at the shop/dojo. This should let you get a feel for your ideal size. Well, hopefully this helps. Oh, and does anyone kow a good place in Spokane to get shinai and boken?

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 02/04/05 09:35 PM

I just got back from my third Kendo lesson, and this is the most fun I've had in a long time. I'm REALLY glad I chose Kendo.

As a question, is it normal for my left ankle to be really sore? It's been like that everytime Kendo has ended, and lasts a few days... Will I get used to it?

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 02/04/05 09:45 PM

You should probably run that by your sensei. You could also mention it over at http://www.kendo-world.com Lot's of kendo-ka there.

Re: Had my first Kendo lesson... - 02/04/05 10:15 PM

Thank you for you prompt response Charles!