found something

Posted by: Anonymous

found something - 01/18/05 07:32 AM

hello again. if you have never herd of me then i'll fill u in. i've got some bokken for christmas this year (or is it last year? whatever). Anyway, i found a classmate that can "teach" me some moves that he has learnd from a kenjutsu (spelling?). this will probly last till i get my licence this december (thats right im 15, good job Homes). now is this a bad idea or should i just wait till i get the licence to start learning.

p.s.: if u respond to this post, thank u for your input. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]
if u don't i will be very angry!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: cxt

Re: found something - 01/18/05 08:28 AM

Gil

Probably be a better idea to wait to learn from someone that is a legit teacher.

Nothing against your buddy.

But if he "knows" kenjutsu--then why don't you just go with him to the the guy/gal that is teaching him?

Re: found something - 01/18/05 02:14 PM

Let me show you something:

if F(x)=x^n
then dF(x) =n*x^(n-1)

Do you now know differential calculus? No. Though I could teach you that rule, the d(e^x)=e^x rule, the product rule, and any number of other rules, drilling them until you knew each perfectly, you would still not know calculus.

Why? Because you do not know the theory, the rationale. You do not know that these formulas are all simplified forms of the slope formula with zero distance between the points, and without higher level algebra, you couldn't understand how that is acomplished. Therefore, I could do something slightly different and throw you through a loop. The same holds true for swordsmanship:

You cannot learn a "move" until you learn how to swing a blade correctly
You cannot swing until you know how to grip
You cannot grip properly unless you know how to run
you cannot run until you learn to walk
You cannot walk until you learn to stand
You cannot stand without first falling down.

All along the way, you will learn bad habits almost instantly and take months to unlearn them. Unless your friend is a prodigy in teaching and you are willing to spend a long time learning and overcoming both his and your mistakes, this will not work. People must spend a long time learning before they are ready to teach, and even then they mess up.

My suggestion is that you ask your friend to give you a lift to his kenjitsu school until you get your license.

Re: found something - 01/18/05 09:00 PM

yeah, I agree with Ben here.

I'm a wrestler and I've been doing it for 4 years. Now I know the best way for you to pin a kid, and that's but using a ball-and-chain/half nelson stack.

but you have no idea what any of that means unless you wrestle. Which I'm hoping you don't so that my point gets across.

I guess the same thing goes for this kenjutsu thing. If you've trained in the art of kenjutsu, then learning these moves your friend knows should be a snap.

but this friend of yours just sounds like a know-it-all who heard you had a bokken and wanted to add his two cents to sound cool, even if his two cents were fake.

Re: found something - 01/26/05 07:10 AM

thank you for your insight guys. I'll try to get to my friend's dojo and start learning there. till then I'll be reading Miyamoto Musashi's "Go Rin No Sho" or book of five rings, as i have for some time. I find it realy interesting. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Till I post next, cya.