a first time sword owner needs your help!

Posted by: Anonymous

a first time sword owner needs your help! - 01/01/05 12:53 AM

ok im new tho this forum asweal so i say hi to every one first but i was hopeing anyone could give me helpful info for a first time sword owner

Re: a first time sword owner needs your help! - 01/01/05 01:26 AM

Just a few things

Try not to cut your own foot off.

Keep the blade well polished and oiled.
If you have a leather sheath, don't store the sword in it for long periods of time, it traps moisture and speeds rust.

Type properly.

Research the laws in your area concerning carrying weapons. You may be able to carry a semi-automatic magnum but will not be able to carry Bowie knife.

Don't try to teach yourself, chances are, you won't succeed.

If it is done in an anime you saw, DON'T DO IT!

Keep a reasonable estimate of what your sword can do. Cutting newspaper=yes, cutting branches=yes, chopping trees= no, cutting brick=very no, cutting other people=very very no.

Keep these in mind, and don't do anything stupid.

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 01-01-2005).]

Re: a first time sword owner needs your help! - 01/01/05 02:11 AM

thanks for that i studie kenjutsu so i will naturaly not try anything stupid so it should be ok

[This message has been edited by Dabido (edited 01-01-2005).]

Re: a first time sword owner needs your help! - 01/03/05 09:17 PM

Some more things I thought of

Don't be overconfident. Each sword has a personality, and some are bloodthirsty (really, it's true). You will hurt yourself from time to time.

Block with flat of the blade, not the edge.

Keep out of reach of children.

Always remember: the sword is not a toy. The sword is not a tool. It is a weapon designed for a single purpose, to taste the blood of men. An action with a sword will have results, and those actions often cannot be taken back or undone. That is why the western sword is in the shape of a cross, because a man's sword is his cross, his burden, his responsibility, an outward sign of his manhood and the responsibilties he bears. If you cannot bear that responsibility, toss the sword in the garbage, for you are not worthy of it.

That was the lecture that Master Daniel Watson gives to everyone the first time they buy one of his swords. I think it reasonable that I pass it on to you.

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rain fall soft upon your fields
Until we meet again, may God hold you
In the hollow of his hand

Re: a first time sword owner needs your help! - 01/05/05 12:19 AM

good advice,
how ever i refuse to throw a katana in the trash, so disrespectful but i will take the gratest cair in useing it.
i dont know why just because its a chen blade ppl hate it....is it really as bad as you all make it seem cause my understanding at the moment is that its good for wall hanging and NOTHING more but why would they bothere tempering the blade?

[This message has been edited by Dabido (edited 01-06-2005).]