Iaido or kendo?

Posted by: Anonymous

Iaido or kendo? - 12/29/04 11:52 AM

I'm looking to start training in one of these two. I started kendo a little while ago but I had to quit due to my lack of time because I also take taekwondo. I want to take something that would be of a good use for self defense. I realize that i will never carry a sword in public but I always thought it might be good for say when I'm at my house and someone breaks in, that kinda thing. There is a kendo dojo about 15 minutes from my house (the one I went to) but I dont know where there is an iaido dojo. When i was there i noticed that kendo was more of a sport but im not sure of the way iaido is. i would like to know more about Iaido and if there is a dojo near me. i live in the bergen county, nj area by the way
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 12/29/04 12:02 PM

If you're serious about self defense, and willing to use deadly force in the defense of your home, you'd be better off purchasing a handgun and learning to shoot.

The use of a handgun for self defense is a lot easier to explain to a jury than the use of a sword. Swords are very difficult to use well, especially in small cramped spaces such as those found in the average home.

Neither Iaido nor Kendo would be a good use of your time if your goal is practical self defense.

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 12/29/04 04:23 PM

well i just used the home as an example because it is an area where i would have a sword. i highly doubt there would be such a break where i needed to use deadly force in my area anyway. (nothing like that has happened in about a couple years from what i know.) could iaido or kendo just be used anywhere as effective self defense or is the use of a sword just not practical for the modern world? and i would still like to know more about iaido from anyone that takes it?

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/01/05 12:32 AM

well you dont alwas have to use a sword when useing a kendo strike u could use anything really and that would stop those anoying murder charges

[This message has been edited by Dabido (edited 01-01-2005).]

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/02/05 03:54 PM

But what is the difference between these two arts?

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/02/05 05:31 PM

If you really wanted to learn to defend your home with a sword, buy a rapier and learn fencing, it would serve you much better in narrow hallways.

Matthew, Iaido is the art of the katana draw. You draw and cut in a single move. Kendo is Japanese fencing, you wear armor and actually hit your opponent with a bamboo sword (called a shinai).

I haven't taken either of them, but I would think that Kendo would be more productive normally (building reaction time, relieving stress), but Iaido would be much more useful in a home invasion senario. Kendo is a sport, and as such, is designed for optimum use in the sport against an armored and bladed oponent. While with Iaido, the crook probably won't think of a sheathed sword as much of a threat and you can get that one cut in.

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/03/05 01:45 PM

Thanks for your explanation Ben ... but there must be more than drawing the sword and killing with one move,no?I mean...if you fail to kill him with that...then what?You run? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/03/05 06:32 PM

No, then you strike again. An Iaido school would be foolish to not teach its students at least the basics of kenjitsu.

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/06/05 09:46 AM

i take both kendo and iaido and i have to say they complement each other very well take both.....(if it's a option)
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/06/05 10:22 AM

That's correct. Only the first cut in any Iai waza is truly Iai. All follow up cuts, and there are always followup cuts, are kenjutsu. Iai practice emphasizes cutting from the draw, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Re: Iaido or kendo? - 01/06/05 04:05 PM

Dabido....wow!It's great you take both of them...keep on practicing!