Kali knife fighting?

Posted by: Anonymous

Kali knife fighting? - 12/26/04 11:18 PM

I didn't see any knive fighting forums here so I figured this would be the best place to post.

Anyone heard of kali knife fighting technique? Is it still taught? It's suppose to be almost like a dance.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kali knife fighting? - 12/27/04 12:41 PM

Akedes,

the system of kali (also known as escrima or arnis) is excellent, and ive enjoyed every second ive trained in it. it is a martial art from the phillipines, and is one of the few effective martial arts in the world. they mainly train in weaponry and use knife, machete, stick, and have a decent unarmed combat syllabus that is simmilar to japanese jujitsu.

do a search on the net filipino/phillipine martial arts. or FMA. some jeet kune do (JKD) organisations also incorporate these skills, so if you cant find any FMA schools, you may be able to get some training with JKD (note i dont do JKD, and what i have written may not be true for all JKD schools)

i understand that it was disguised as a dance to fool the spanish (who had occupied the phillipines and had banned the practise of training with knives and machetes)

hope this helps