I'm new

Posted by: Anonymous

I'm new - 12/23/04 10:36 PM

I'm 17 and I've been fascinated by martial arts in all ways, but most of all i have a nick with the blade. I would like to learn swordsmanship with a katana, and i have no idea what to look for, what styles of fighting to look for, and anything else. help appreciated. thanks
Posted by: laf7773

Re: I'm new - 12/23/04 11:12 PM

Like i tell everyone. Use the search function. This has been covered, A LOT.

But, since my holiday shopping is done and all the presents are wrapped. Do a search on yahoo yellow pages for martial arts. Take particular notice of any aikido schools in your area, most offer iaido. Also look for kendo and kenjutsu. It all really depends on what you are looking for in a sword art. Find out what is available in your area and post it here. Then someone here can give you an idea if it's something you should look into further or run. You should also check swordforum.com and the sword arts section at e-budo.com. Try to be as clear as possible with what you want in an art and where you are. Be sure to perform a search of each forum before asking. It gets old answering the same question over and over. It's going to take some leg work to find a school. If your not ready to do the research your going to have a hard time with the training.

Good luck.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I'm new - 12/31/04 10:01 PM

you could also use the books and tapes it's ok to start with but nothing beats having a real instructor personaly i would look for kendo or kenjutsu

[This message has been edited by Dabido (edited 12-31-2004).]