Jintachi

Posted by: Anonymous

Jintachi - 12/21/04 04:23 PM

I was recently gifted a curved Japanese sword with a 14" reverse-curved handle. I believe it's called a Tachi? I've been playing with it lately and it seems a lot easier to control than a normal Katana. Plus it gets a hell of a lot more leverage in each stroke. I would even go as far as to say that I can weild it more quickly and effectively. So, do any of you other guys work with these swords? I'm really begining to like the feel of it.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Jintachi - 12/21/04 04:52 PM

A "normal" katana would generally be longer than 14 inchs.

You should be able to wield it more "quickly" because its shorter and lighter.

Re: Jintachi - 12/21/04 06:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cxt:

A "normal" katana would generally be longer than 14 inchs.

You should be able to wield it more "quickly" because its shorter and lighter.
[/QUOTE]

14" HANDLE (or tsuba as the case may be, lol), guy. Not 14" sword, lol. It's much longer than any Katana I've ever handled. Probably about 50" overall. The handle curves the opposite way the blade does and gives a lot of leverage in your swing. We on the same page now?

Re: Jintachi - 12/21/04 06:20 PM

The hilt is referred to as tsukai•¿j
The circular sword guard is called a tsuba (’Õ) and the actual weapon is called either "jindachi" or "tachi".

Regards,

S. Delaney
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Jintachi - 12/21/04 06:35 PM

Not a common design by any stretch. Any idea where it came from?

Re: Jintachi - 12/21/04 06:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gunyo Kogusoku:

The hilt is referred to as tsukai•¿j
The circular sword guard is called a tsuba (’Õ) and the actual weapon is called either "jindachi" or "tachi".

Regards,

S. Delaney
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. My typo. Tsuka, not tsuba...I knew that, lol. Oh, and Charles, it is just a crappy 440 sword. It's ok to practice form with, but I wouldn't use it to hit another blade (or a wet noodle for that matter). You can pick them up at most sword shops. From what I've read it is an older form of the katana used for horseback? It balances out especially well in one hand, so this makes sense. I'm pretty tall, and have big hands (makes a normal length full-tang tsuka quite uncomfortable to work with), so that may be why I can handle it so effortlessly. It seems like it was made for me. After messing with it the last few weeks, I'd take it over a normal handle anyday. So much more leverage. So much more power. Well, maybe someday I'll have a nice Tachi/Jintachi/Jin dachi/Do Dachi/whatever the hell it's called, made from some good steel. In the mean time, think I'll slide the tsuba up on my bokken, lol. So, anyone know where to get a quality version of this sword? Something better than 440 half tang?

[This message has been edited by SifuSkyler (edited 12-21-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: Jintachi - 12/22/04 06:45 AM

I bought the Musashi katana which is very similar. I don't like it, to big for me but it might just because I'm a beginner. I still prefer my Iaido blade.

Re: Jintachi - 12/22/04 07:44 AM

Sifu

In that case check out Bugei Trading--they have a number of blades that have a longer hilts than "normal."

They can get expensive--but they have the hilts you find work well for you.

They also list some of the advantages of having a longer hilt.

Some of which you mentioned.

Not sure I agree, mainly because historically such hilts seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Also they don't have hilts that curve the other way.

How sharply does it curve?

Bottom line?

If it works better for you---go for it.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 12-22-2004).]

Re: Jintachi - 12/22/04 11:55 AM

Sifu
How sharply does it curve?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Anyways, it looks about like this:

[IMG]http://store1.yimg.com/I/lemleys_1815_19380[/IMG]

Re: Jintachi - 12/23/04 07:22 AM

Sifu

Thats some serious curve.

I can see why it would give a different feel.

Where did you find it?

Re: Jintachi - 12/23/04 10:00 AM

Sifu

Thats some serious curve.

I can see why it would give a different feel.

Where did you find it?

[/QUOTE]

My wife got it for me at a local sword shop. You can see how it gets so much more leverage on the cut. 14" of reverse curved tsuka. It handles well in one hand too if you hold it right (the handle counter-balances the blade). It's quite an interesting piece.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Jintachi - 12/23/04 10:46 AM

Leverage is all nice and good, but leveraging a cut is not the way all styles cut. Also, looking at the almost cartoonishly extreme curve, I'd wager that it's more than a little tricky to take up some of the standard kamaes. Holding that thing in a proper MJER seigan no kamae appears more than a little difficult.

Re: Jintachi - 12/23/04 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
Leverage is all nice and good, but leveraging a cut is not the way all styles cut. Also, looking at the almost cartoonishly extreme curve, I'd wager that it's more than a little tricky to take up some of the standard kamaes. Holding that thing in a proper MJER seigan no kamae appears more than a little difficult.[/QUOTE]

I know that leverage isn't always the way. I've trained with the Jian quite a bit. You draw the tip across the surface to cut with that weapon. With a broadsword, you hack and slash instead of a normal kenjutsu-style cut. However, with this sword, leverage is the way to go. As far as your grip concern, you are right. You need to use a modified grip to work it properly. But, once you get a feel for it, it is just as fast as any other katana. Probably not the best design for Iaido though, lol. It hangs off the sash with the blade down and the tsuka protruding horizontally. It is quite a pain to draw.

Re: Jintachi - 12/24/04 07:55 AM

Any curved blade is designed to cut with speed, not power. Leverage wouldn't do you much good =/

Re: Jintachi - 12/24/04 04:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subedei:
Any curved blade is designed to cut with speed, not power. Leverage wouldn't do you much good =/[/QUOTE]

The blade is actually pretty straight. A lot straighter than that pic I posted. And like I said, it handles just as fast as any other katana (at least for me).

[This message has been edited by SifuSkyler (edited 12-24-2004).]