Iaido question?

Posted by: SOKE

Iaido question? - 12/14/04 03:09 PM

how many ranks,and forms does Iaido have?

Just curious:curious:
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Iaido question? - 12/15/04 05:32 AM

Depends on the type... What school of iaido are you looking at?

Regards,
Walt Robillard
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iaido question? - 12/15/04 08:43 AM

And what made you choose that particular login?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Iaido question? - 12/15/04 11:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
And what made you choose that particular login?[/QUOTE]

This might explain. http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003634.html

Soke,
I find it hard to believe that you benig a pratictioner of aikido and "ninjitsu" that you have had no iaido or kenjutsu training. Then again since you didn't train long enough in any of the arts you have incorperated into your "style" i don't see why you would have. I suspect you will read a couple of iaido books or watch a video or two and incorperate iaido into your "style". I doubt you will get much help in this section of the forum though.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 08:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laf7773:
This might explain. http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003634.html

Soke,
I find it hard to believe that you benig a pratictioner of aikido and "ninjitsu" that you have had no iaido or kenjutsu training. Then again since you didn't train long enough in any of the arts you have incorperated into your "style" i don't see why you would have. I suspect you will read a couple of iaido books or watch a video or two and incorperate iaido into your "style". I doubt you will get much help in this section of the forum though.

[/QUOTE]get that far?im a black belt in almost every style i took.

and not everybody that does aikido does Iaido,and i have had sword training in my other arts,plus alot more weapons,but i never actually had to do Iaido.And no!I WON'T WATCH VIDEOS,and read books and incorporate it in my style.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 09:03 AM

Kroh)-not sure what school

Charles)-are you talking about my login name?(probally a dumb question)

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 12:21 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but black belt is only the beginning. You talk as if BB is an advanced rank or something. Then again you are a level 56 soke in your own art.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 02:16 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but black belt is only the beginning. You talk as if BB is an advanced rank or something. Then again you are a level 56 soke in your own art. [/QUOTE]

well yes your correct,bb is the beginning but what im saying it's also a big step.what im trying to say is that im no amature.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 03:18 PM

Actually yes you are. Reaching BB just means you have acquired the very basics of the art, now you’re a beginner. Everything up to BB is preparation for beginning. It's far from knowing enough to start your own system. I've been training over 20 years and i still consider myself an "amateur", as i'm sure most that are serious about their art feel the same.

After a few more years of legitimate instruction and experience you will understand.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iaido question? - 12/18/04 08:22 PM

You're right, that was a silly question. What other login would I be asking about?

In Iai, shodan is little more than an acknowledgement that you are ready to begin learning. It really represents no real level of mastery, besides maybe that you know roughly where you put your arms and feet during the waza and you won't fall over yourself during a test. It mostly signifies that you have stuck with it long enough to make it through a years training in what is truly one the more boring arts available for study. Well... boring to watch anyway.

An instructor I had a chance to train with at a recent seminar commented that watching Iaido should not be like watching paint dry. He then said that Iaido should be like watching dry paint.

If you're looking for something flashy to add to your made up style, Iaido is most certainly not for you.

Sorry, but when you attend a few seminars, read some books, and maybe even spend some time training under a few different instructors, you will be looked at as a jack of all trades but a master of none. Especially if you start advertising yourself as the soke of your own style which is based on a dozen or so other styles. That's just not the way it works and a lot of people know it.

I doubt many folks here or on other boards are going to be willing to help you in that endeavor. There are a few styles who will not accept you as a student at all if you are not willing to forsake other styles.

As for you being an amateur yes you are. Any JSA student worth his salt would consider him an amateur. I know Ray-sensei does and he is the most senior MJER practitioner in this country with more than 20 years of training under his belt half of which was in Chiba, Japan.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-18-2004).]

Re: Iaido question? - 12/19/04 12:31 PM

Actually yes you are. Reaching BB just means you have acquired the very basics of the art, now you’re a beginner. Everything up to BB is preparation for beginning. It's far from knowing enough to start your own system. I've been training over 20 years and i still consider myself an "amateur", as i'm sure most that are serious about their art feel the same.

After a few more years of legitimate instruction and experience you will understand.
[/QUOTE]

yeah you have a point,cause i'm still learning.

20years)WoW!i was still in daipers.lol

but i dissagree about me not knowing enough to start my style,if you remember that i studied 15 arts.I still remeber someone saying"still knowing all that still don't matter"theres more to martial arts than that" which i agree 100%.

whats your style/rank/i really like to know

im sure your quite experience for 20 years,but still i met guys that been doing it for 15-18 years,and i had to instruct them.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/19/04 12:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
You're right, that was a silly question. What other login would I be asking about?

In Iai, shodan is little more than an acknowledgement that you are ready to begin learning. It really represents no real level of mastery, besides maybe that you know roughly where you put your arms and feet during the waza and you won't fall over yourself during a test. It mostly signifies that you have stuck with it long enough to make it through a years training in what is truly one the more boring arts available for study. Well... boring to watch anyway.

An instructor I had a chance to train with at a recent seminar commented that watching Iaido should not be like watching paint dry. He then said that Iaido should be like watching dry paint.

If you're looking for something flashy to add to your made up style, Iaido is most certainly not for you.

Sorry, but when you attend a few seminars, read some books, and maybe even spend some time training under a few different instructors, you will be looked at as a jack of all trades but a master of none. Especially if you start advertising yourself as the soke of your own style which is based on a dozen or so other styles. That's just not the way it works and a lot of people know it.

I doubt many folks here or on other boards are going to be willing to help you in that endeavor. There are a few styles who will not accept you as a student at all if you are not willing to forsake other styles.

As for you being an amateur yes you are. Any JSA student worth his salt would consider him an amateur. I know Ray-sensei does and he is the most senior MJER practitioner in this country with more than 20 years of training under his belt half of which was in Chiba, Japan.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-18-2004).]
[/QUOTE]
you coulden't say it any better,your right,i hate to admitt it but i don't think i mastered none of the arts but i do feel like im a jack of all trades,which has it's ups and downs,ok im not saying im a master at the styles i took,i agree bb is the beginning,even my style i feel i have some work to do to master it.i'm just saying,i'm very knowlegeable,and good at what i do.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/19/04 02:35 PM

[QUOTE]but i dissagree about me not knowing enough to start my style,if you remember that i studied 15 arts.I still remeber someone saying"still knowing all that still don't matter"theres more to martial arts than that" which i agree 100%.[/QUOTE]

That’s just it, you’re under the impression that all you need to know is a lot of techniques. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I personally have issues with anyone starting their own system and proclaiming them self "soke" or grandmaster unless they have at least mastered at least one system. A lot of systems consider mastery to be at or above 5th dan(or it's equivalent). Even then it's iffy. You may be very good with the techniques you know but there is a lot more to the arts than techniques. You really sound like you measure your ability by the number of techniques you know or how many kata you know. Knowing a lot of different styles doesn't mean you are ready to start your own style either. It just means you touched on the basics of each and now should pick one that best suits you, to continue your training in. After a few more years of training in one system you will start to see the difference in memorizing techniques and knowing your art. I advise you find one art that you enjoy and stick with it for a few more years, about the time you reach about 3rd dan you will start to really understand.

[QUOTE]im sure your quite experience for 20 years,but still i met guys that been doing it for 15-18 years,and i had to instruct them.[/QUOTE]

Everyone can still learn from someone, even their own students.

[QUOTE]whats your style/rank/i really like to know[/QUOTE]

I don't have a particular style. I started in tae kwon do when i was 8 then moved on to a couple of Chinese systems for a while before getting into kempo. Kempo was the focus of my training for a while. Kempoman, one of the moderators here, was an instructor of mine for a while about 10 years ago. Since i joined the Navy and was stationed on ships almost always out to sea i had to spend the last 7 years studying various systems depending on who was teaching what and where. All of my training regardless of what system it was has been approached with the same focus, practicle application. I don't believe in rank because rank isn't what makes you an effective fighter. I've been issued various dan ranks from different systems, none of which i recognize. The systems i've had the most exposure to are Kanto Ryu Kempo, Shotokan and BJJ. Rank is good for some class instruction but a 3rd dan in one system doesn't equate to the same skill level in another, or even the same system under a different instructor, since the requirements tend to vary from instructor to instructor. I prefer to look at the time and quality of training the individual has. I'm on shore duty now but due to a shoulder injury have been unable to train for a couple of years. I'll be returning to training in a couple of months and believe i have found the well-rounded system i want.

Don't be in such a rush to be a founder or even a teacher. Take the time to learn and understand an art first. You'll find out you will be taken more seriously by legitimate martial artist then. When you try to make up your own system with only a few black belts, people tend to not take you seriously. It also attracts frauds and fakes to your door. These people only develop their own "system" because they want to be the man at the top, want people to think they are good fighters or are looking to make money off of people who don't know better. You don't want to get roped into that crowd.

Re: Iaido question? - 12/19/04 07:39 PM

I don't have a particular style. I started in tae kwon do when i was 8 then moved on to a couple of Chinese systems for a while before getting into kempo. Kempo was the focus of my training for a while. Kempoman, one of the moderators here, was an instructor of mine for a while about 10 years ago. Since i joined the Navy and was stationed on ships almost always out to sea i had to spend the last 7 years studying various systems depending on who was teaching what and where. All of my training regardless of what system it was has been approached with the same focus, practicle application. I don't believe in rank because rank isn't what makes you an effective fighter. I've been issued various dan ranks from different systems, none of which i recognize. The systems i've had the most exposure to are Kanto Ryu Kempo, Shotokan and BJJ. Rank is good for some class instruction but a 3rd dan in one system doesn't equate to the same skill level in another, or even the same system under a different instructor, since the requirements tend to vary from instructor to instructor. I prefer to look at the time and quality of training the individual has. I'm on shore duty now but due to a shoulder injury have been unable to train for a couple of years. I'll be returning to training in a couple of months and believe i have found the well-rounded system i want.

Don't be in such a rush to be a founder or even a teacher. Take the time to learn and understand an art first. You'll find out you will be taken more seriously by legitimate martial artist then. When you try to make up your own system with only a few black belts, people tend to not take you seriously. It also attracts frauds and fakes to your door. These people only develop their own "system" because they want to be the man at the top, want people to think they are good fighters or are looking to make money off of people who don't know better. You don't want to get roped into that crowd.

[/QUOTE]

THANKS!you have very good advice,and made alot of good points ,thanks
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Iaido question? - 01/20/05 04:17 PM

20years)WoW!i was still in daipers.lol

Wait a minute. That makes you, what, 22? 23 maximum. You're trying to tell us that you achieved a Shodan grade in 15 arts at 23?

Rubbish. Absolute, complete, total rubbish. I have no time to be civil anymore, this is complete lies. The only way you could have those grades is:

1. You did NOTHING else in life, and trained all day, every day. (No, you didn't)

2. The classes you took were all money grabbing pay for a grade every 3 months kinda dojos.

And 56 ranks?! Who the hell would stick around to progress through 56 grades? How many colours are there for belts?!

The old masters studied one Kata for years, to get all the information out of it. You're gonna do that with all your katas? People don't live to 560.

Mark.

[This message has been edited by StayUnderMyWing (edited 01-20-2005).]