Korean Katana

Posted by: Anonymous

Korean Katana - 12/14/04 12:02 PM

I've searched and found many topics that touch on the Korean Katana but never found anything directing me where to go to get one. Everything is Japanese. I've read references to them made as Jang-gum, Shin-guem, etc. but nothing specific. I asked my Korean instructor about them, but he confirmed that they referred to them as a Katana, just in his own language. They were also difficult to find. He got his practice sword in Korea but said most Americans use Japanese Katanas because they're much easier to get and have a much wider selection.

Please understand that when the time comes for me to get one, it will probably be through him, since I will obviously need his approval beforehand anyway, but I've always been fascinated with swords and have been to every site directed from here to try to get some background on who makes them, information on quality, etc. As with most things, I like to research beforehand so I'm ready when the time comes. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Posted by: howard

Re: Korean Katana - 12/23/04 01:08 PM

i have what could be called a korean katana, i suppose... it was made in korea by a korean swordsmith, but is the same design as the japanese katana. our traditional hapkido kwan practices a sword art called kuhapdo that is heavily influenced by a japanese sword art.

unfortunately, i can't help you with respect to getting one... i obtained mine directly thru the head of our kwan (with the help of my US instructor). it is a real pain in the rear to get an authentic sword out of korea. the koreans seem to be very sensitive about the possible theft of historical artifacts... you can get one out of the country yourself, but you need a lot of documentation to get it thru customs at incheon.

oh well, at least now you know that they do exist...

Re: Korean Katana - 12/29/04 11:08 AM

Hi Gemini,

You can find a Korean Katana,a "Sam Guk Do" at www.martialartsword.com. for $1,340.00.

Good Luck.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gemini:
I've searched and found many topics that touch on the Korean Katana but never found anything directing me where to go to get one. Everything is Japanese. I've read references to them made as Jang-gum, Shin-guem, etc. but nothing specific. I asked my Korean instructor about them, but he confirmed that they referred to them as a Katana, just in his own language. They were also difficult to find. He got his practice sword in Korea but said most Americans use Japanese Katanas because they're much easier to get and have a much wider selection.

Please understand that when the time comes for me to get one, it will probably be through him, since I will obviously need his approval beforehand anyway, but I've always been fascinated with swords and have been to every site directed from here to try to get some background on who makes them, information on quality, etc. As with most things, I like to research beforehand so I'm ready when the time comes. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

Re: Korean Katana - 12/29/04 02:54 PM

www.hdgd.org www.hwarangdo.com

Two sites you might find useful if you're interested in Korean sword.