Dilemma

Posted by: Anonymous

Dilemma - 12/12/04 11:09 AM

Hey,
Sorry but this is somewhat a stupid question...
I am now facing a dilemma!!!! You see, ninja carry their swords on their backs, and samurai's carry their swords on their side. I want to buy a samurai sword, but I also want to put it on my back. Is that possible?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Dilemma - 12/12/04 02:03 PM

Why would you think "ninja" carried their sword on their back? You do realize a straight blade or "ninja-to" wasn't used by the ninja?

What you see about the ninja in cartoon and movies isn't true. Refer to one of the Kans or even To Shin Do for more reliable information.

But if you realy wanted to i'm sure you can "rig" a sword to be worn on your back.

Re: Dilemma - 12/12/04 05:49 PM

You'll need to rig a sheath to do it, but it is possible (one of the guys on my fencing team made one for his epee out of PVC). Don't worry about how it is "supposed" to be. If it looks good and is in the spirit of the outfit (ie: not out of PVC and string), then it is not against the fashion laws of the sword. However, this would require some skilled leatherwork or woodwork, so it could be expensive or time consuming to make.

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 12-12-2004).]
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Dilemma - 12/12/04 06:26 PM

It has nothing to do with aesthetics, it's about functionality.

This isn't the fantasy sword arts section.

Re: Dilemma - 12/12/04 07:23 PM

Why do you want to carry your sword anyways? This is 2004 (almost 2005). When fighting a match in today's society, you generally start with your sword unsheathed, lol.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Dilemma - 12/16/04 07:21 AM

If you are serious about ninjutsu then I suggest hopping over to http://www.e-budo.com and joining the ninpo forums there. It's one of the largest collection of ninpo folks around.

If you're just fooling around, does it really matter what you do or how you do it?

Re: Dilemma - 12/20/04 04:04 PM

I wasn't thinking fantasy, I was just thinking just for carrying around purposes, Laf.

However, now that I have thought about it, how does one draw a curved sword from the back? If the blade is curved down, it would be akward, and if it is curved up, nigh impossible. Reasonably, I would suggest that you leave back carrying to straight blades.