Question on Shaolin Broadswords

Posted by: Anonymous

Question on Shaolin Broadswords - 12/11/04 02:03 PM

I would like to know if anyone knows where I could buy some Chinese Broadswords that are meant to be used. I have some training ones, but I want a set that are combat steel.

I'm not new to swords either, I have eight Katanas. I just don't know much about where to purchase good Chinese weapons. I'm looking for something that is MEANT to be used, like Bugei swords.

I'm looking into a Hanwei sword, I've heard good things about them. This is the piece I'm looking into buying:
http://store.martialartsmart.net/452063.html

I want to make sure that the blade won't become loose, and it doesn't rust easily.

Thanks.

Mike Sweeney 1st Dan

Re: Question on Shaolin Broadswords - 12/11/04 03:06 PM

I would suggest Angelsword. They have a wide selection of dao blades. Yes, Angels are expensive, but with an eternal warranty against all reasonable misuse, you can tell the swords are designed with real combat in mind. (And yes, steel on steel combat is included in the waranty).

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 12-11-2004).]

Re: Question on Shaolin Broadswords - 12/12/04 09:39 AM

Thanks, Benjamin. I'll check it out.

While I'm here, I have a question. I've been with Japanese weaponry my whole life, I'm new to Chinese weapons. So my knowlege in this field is still premature. I was wondering what the reasoning for having the rings on the blade's of Kwan Do's and Broad Swords were? I couldn't really find anything explaining it.

-Mike Sweeney