A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana

Posted by: Anonymous

A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/08/04 09:43 PM

Greetings!

This is my first post to these forums, so I'll try to refrain from any really stupid newbie behavior (heh, at least I know the reverse blade sword isn't real [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ).

Anyway, I'm something of a minor sword enthusiast, and I'm looking for a piece that has a decent edge, will look nice on display, and won't crack if it comes in contact with a cardboard tube.

From the 'research' I've done (ok, it's really just shopping,) the Functional Katana produced by Valiant Armory looks like it might suit my needs. Here's a link to it... any feedback on either the sword, or the site that sells it, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

-Matt "Draxle" Calkins

[This message has been edited by Draxle (edited 12-08-2004).]
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 07:02 AM

Well... you asked for feedback. Looks like crap. Not exactly a traditional design. What's with that wrist strap thingy on the end? This isn't a western cavalry sabre. Or at least it's not supposed to be.

If you just have to have a cheap sharp katan, look into the Paul Chen Practical Katana. I wouldn't own one personally, but it's pretty hard to find another decent live blade in it's price range that is even remotely traditionally mounted. The PK isn't exactly traditionally mounted, what with the tsuka being epoxied to the nakago and all, but it's considerably more traditional than what you're asking about.

If I were to buy one, then I'd start at http://ancientedge.com/product_62_detailed.html These are the same folks that own Bugei Trading Company and they have a pretty good reputation for quality control within the Japanese Sword Arts community.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-09-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 02:57 PM

What is that bolt thing on the end? Charles san is correct it is a piece of crap, if your going to spend $200.00 at least give Paul Chen a look? I'm not bragging but I like quality things and I just spent close to $800.00 on an Iaido sword that is not sharpend and is only for practice so just because it "looks cool" doesn't mean anything. You should pick Mr. Mahans brain more he has been doing this for a while and enjoys good sword conversation. Look at the sword "practical plus katana". For the money it's not a bad sword for what you want. http://fleshwound.lorengraves.com/wholesale.html
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 07:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that bolt thing on the end is to wrap that strap thingy on the scabbard around. One would assume the strap is to keep the blade from sliding out of the scabbard if it was to tip upside down. If it was made well this wouldn't be necessary. Just guessing on this possible use for the strap and bolt thingies. This is not at all a traditional item to find on a katana.

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 07:45 PM

From looking at the "swordsonline.com" rating system which praised the blade so much, I present you with this. Note the exceptional ratings they gave for a STAINLESS STEEL BLADE. Perhaps I am looking at this wrong, but, my advice is to back away and run. You can do much better than that.

Also, I have heard some pretty bad things about the "Practical" series of katana,so I would recommend it either.
http://www.swordforumbugei.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2693

[This message has been edited by Benjamin1986 (edited 12-09-2004).]

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 07:58 PM

Charles and schanne: Thank you very much for both the feedback and the recommendation. A few questions on the Practical Katana, and its Plus variant. I'm well aware that I will most likely "get what I pay for," but are there any particular advantages that really stand out of the Plus?

Benjamin: Thanks for the warning. I think I'll start looking around the links provided in this thread for blades, instead. It did send little warning bells off in my head that an "under $500" could be given such a high rating (this is in regard to the Functional Katana.)

Hence the reason I came here... I'm well aware of my inexperience in this area, and it's good to receive great advice on these things [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Again, my thanks to you all.

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 10:37 PM

The PK is crudely mounted and the blade is rather unfinished. The PPK is better mounted and the blade is better finished. Is just the same sword but better looking. Also, the tsuka is remouvable on the PPK compared to the glued tsuka on the PK. I would not recommend either for even light cutting. They are less forgiving to poor form and very prone to snapping in two. Try saving a bit more and get at least a "folded" one. Is a bit pricey but they will not dissapoint you. In the end, as the old saying goes: "You pay for crap, you get crap".

C. Roman

[This message has been edited by whitedragon_48 (edited 12-09-2004).]

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 11:11 PM

Well, the bugei blades look very, very nice (as in, I'd sell an organ for one), but it might be more sword than I can handle at this point. I'm really looking for a sword that looks nice enough, and can test cut something moderately simple, such as a cardboard tube. I don't know if a razor-sharp instrument of death would be terribly wise at the moment... I'd hate to give the martial arts community a black eye if I accidentally decapitated myself, or something.

(J/K, of course... I'm not -that- clumsy, but I do have a healthy respect for the true swords out there, having seen them wielded in hands much more qualified than mine.)

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/09/04 11:47 PM

Youy seem to be looking for tameshigiri (test cutting). Why dont you look for a dojo that does that in your area? Some of them will recomend you a good sword. Be care full! Do not try to cut without training and supervision.

C. Roman
Posted by: schanne

Re: A Question on the Valiant Armory Functional Katana - 12/10/04 08:44 AM

Lets get back to his original question.

Anyway, I'm something of a minor sword enthusiast, and I'm looking for a piece that has a decent edge, will look nice on display, and won't crack if it comes in contact with a cardboard tube.

No one said he was cutting mats ect. he just wants a blade for display that has an edge, that's why I recommended Paul Chen. The quality of blades is an on going discussion that could last for days.