Iai; art of drawing a sword

Posted by: Anonymous

Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/06/04 08:16 PM

i think that drawing sword with left foot at the fornt will produce a stronger slash than those who use right-foot drawing styles.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/06/04 11:24 PM

Good for you. Now please explain.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/07/04 01:12 PM

Mitsurugi is that japanse dude of of soul caliber u need to be more creative...

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/07/04 01:55 PM

Actually, Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu is a fictional school used by the character Kenshin Himura in the Japanese animation, Rurouni Kenshin, a.k.a. Samurai X. The technique in question is known as the Amakekeru Ryu no Hirameki, which was used by drawing a sakabatou (reverse blade sword) from the sheath while stepping forward with the left foot and using the torque of the body to slash diagonally up at tremendous speed. Although I'm not adept in Asian sword techniques, I don't believe there is much validity in the fact that stepping with the left-foot is the best maneuver. If you try it, you'll find it's a bit awkward. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/07/04 02:58 PM

And yes, I do realize the sakabatou is also fictional. ^_^
Posted by: schanne

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/08/04 08:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hiten_mitsurugi_ryu:
i think that drawing sword with left foot at the fornt will produce a stronger slash than those who use right-foot drawing styles.[/QUOTE]

Stepping forward with your left foot throw off your balance while drawing your blade.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/08/04 08:42 AM

Don't be too quick to draw conclusions. There are koryu which draw with the left foot forward. MJER practitioners can draw with either foot forward without losing their balance.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu practitioners can do pretty much whatever they want since they aren't bound by the laws of physics.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-08-2004).]

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/08/04 12:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
Don't be too quick to draw conclusions. There are koryu which draw with the left foot forward. MJER practitioners can draw with either foot forward without losing their balance.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu practitioners can do pretty much whatever they want since they aren't bound by the laws of physics.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 12-08-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

Not a conclusion just an observation.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
Not a conclusion just an observation.[/QUOTE]
More like speculation.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 11:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Walter Wong:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
Not a conclusion just an observation.[/QUOTE]
More like speculation.
[/QUOTE]

Mr Wong, the only reason that I state that it might be a balance problem is physics. If your left leg is up and nukitsuke is preformed wouldn't the momentom from this have a tendency for someone to lean to the right a bit off balance vs. thier right leg up for support? Don't want to get detailish but that is the only reason that I stated the balance thing. Even last night I tried it a few times on both legs and "for me" having my right leg up just felt right. So why do you think the right leg is up vs. the left. The Iaido style that I practice is Muso Shinden Ryu.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 11:30 AM

I train Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. I don't feel any problems with drawing with left leg foward or right leg foward. We have wazas that train drawing with right leg foward and left leg foward. Training these wazas give me more comfortability in drawing with either leg foward.

I only said "more like speculation" cause I didn't know you trained JSA. But I guess I'll have to take that back since you are involved in MSR. I'm new to this messege board so I don't know anyone here except for Charles Mahan. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 11:39 AM

I train Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. I don't feel any problems with drawing with left leg foward or right leg foward. We have wazas that train drawing with right leg foward and left leg foward. Training these wazas give me more comfortability in drawing with either leg foward.

I only said "more like speculation" cause I didn't know you trained JSA. But I guess I'll have to take that back since you are involved in MSR. I'm new to this messege board so I don't know anyone here except for Charles Mahan. I'm sorry if I offended you.
[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, just trying to figure this whole right & left leg nukitsuke thing out.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 11:58 AM

Does Muso Shinden Ryu have wazas that draw with left leg foward?

If you feel off balanced drawing with left leg foward, practice the wazas that have you draw with your left leg foward more often.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 12-10-2004).]

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/10/04 01:03 PM

Does Muso Shinden Ryu have wazas that draw with left leg foward?

If you feel off balanced drawing with left leg foward, practice the wazas that have you draw with your left leg foward more often.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 12-10-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

From tatehiza nukitsuke I have only learned from right leg up. It is all together possible that there are left leg nukitsuke in our style but I have not been tought. I have 25 years plus expierence in karate but am a beginner in Iaido. Still, I will follow Iaido with the passion that I have dedicated to karate.

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/27/04 07:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heroic Knight:
And yes, I do realize the sakabatou is also fictional. ^_^[/QUOTE]

A Sakabattou is a real weapon, the blade is just different.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Iai; art of drawing a sword - 12/27/04 07:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadowbeing_667:
A Sakabattou is a real weapon, the blade is just different.[/QUOTE]

No it's not and we aren't having this conversation again.