wooden training swords

Posted by: Anonymous

wooden training swords - 11/22/04 11:26 AM

i own a wooden traing sword, whats the name for it? i never asked when it was given to me, and on another topic the reverse blade sword is real it was used my those who would not kill, i guess that they could just become a monk, but they still wanted to do something to help. i started a fanfic bout a warrior that fights with a wooden sword if anybody wants to read it
Posted by: MAGon

Re: wooden training swords - 11/22/04 11:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by raiden16:
i own a wooden traing sword, whats the name for it? i never asked when it was given to me, and on another topic the reverse blade sword is real it was used my those who would not kill, i guess that they could just become a monk, but they still wanted to do something to help. i started a fanfic bout a warrior that fights with a wooden sword if anybody wants to read it[/QUOTE]

If it's a replica of a Japanese sword, they're called boken (Which literally means "wood sword").
As to your fanfic: I can't speak for other Japanese sword arts, but kenjutsu practice is with wooden swords, for safety. As for actual dueling, Miyamoto Musashi (1584?- 1645) actually did this long, long ago.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: wooden training swords - 11/22/04 12:00 PM

Oh boy. Here we go again. The reverse blade sword was not a historical object. It was invented by the creator of the Rurouni Kenshin Manga/Anime series. They never existed. The historical weapon of choice for non-lethal duels was a bokuto(alternate name for bokken).

Please do some research in any JSA forum of your choice.