Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal?

Posted by: Anonymous

Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/16/04 06:55 PM

I recently started doing kenjutsu and some iaido. Perhaps my cutting technique isn't correct, because my forarms hurt a lot! Also my wrists are pretty sore. Is this normal? I've been practicing just about every other day, and i only started about a week or two ago. I'm going to take 3-5 days off and see if they still hurt. Does anyone have any advice or stretches or anything i can do?

Shaykai
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/17/04 09:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaykai:
I recently started doing kenjutsu and some iaido. Perhaps my cutting technique isn't correct, because my forarms hurt a lot! Also my wrists are pretty sore. Is this normal? I've been practicing just about every other day, and i only started about a week or two ago. I'm going to take 3-5 days off and see if they still hurt. Does anyone have any advice or stretches or anything i can do?

Shaykai
[/QUOTE]

YESSSSS!!!! Unfortunately! And y'ain't seen nuffin' yet. Wait until you start doing ryoto (Two sword), if your ryuha includes it!
Actually, I've never had much of a problem with soreness, even early on. Perhaps it's because I also train with weights.

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 11-17-2004).]
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/17/04 10:27 AM

I'd suggest talking to your sensei first. It's probably technique oriented, and is likely nothing more than some overworked and possibly pulled muscles. I dont' think you've been at it long enough to cause some full on repetitive stress injury like tendonitis(ie. tennis elbow).

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/18/04 01:22 AM

Welcome to the joys of Kenjutsu! Yes, is normal to have some sore arms and legs. When you decide to move up to sparring, you'll hurt quite a bit more; but it will be worth it.

C. Roman

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/18/04 01:41 AM

Thank you for all the replies! The break i'm taking is definitly helping out a lot! Thanks again for the replies [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Shaykai
Posted by: Zeal

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/18/04 02:38 AM

Sparring?

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 11/18/04 08:02 AM

I dont' think you've been at it long enough to cause some full on repetitive stress injury like tendonitis(ie. tennis elbow).

Actually it doesn't take long to develop one, especially if you weren't that physically active before starting.

I developed Tennis Elbow in my third week and had to take a week off to recover. I still have a tendonitis flare up every once in a while, particularly after a day of hard training.

My suggestion would be to take it slow at first and don't overtrain, it can save you a lot of discomfort later on.

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/10/04 11:44 AM

Massage your forearms and wherever else is sore or hurting, muscularly or tendon. It'll help the healing faster the more you massage them.

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/10/04 01:49 PM

Heh heh, wait until you get pains in your fingers from holding the sword for so long. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Stretch and flex your wrist, hand and forearm muscles thoroughly before training. I'd also do a bit of light weight training with dumbbells to strengthen your muscles. It'll help. The kids at the school kendo club where I used to work as a tutor used to use this method quite often.

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/11/04 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaykai:

Shaykai
[/QUOTE]

Weight training is a good idea. It is possible that you are attempting to 'over compensate' which is common for beginers of sword arts. Sometimes we tend to force the cut, so we use our muscles more than is necessary.
Try to relax your muscles before you start. Place your left/right arm across your body at shoulder height and use your opposite hand to hold just behind your elbow. This will give you a nice stretch in the shoulder and joint.
A good tricep stretch is taking your right arm and placing it up and over your same shoulder, then with the opposite hand placed on the elbow joint, gently stretch back and down. Do both sides.

To loosen up your forearms lightly pound the forearm with a loose closed fist of your oppisite hand. Do this all over the arm, upper and lower and your bicep also.

That and lots of suburi.
ig

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/24/04 05:59 PM

Before practicing, grasp the center of your bokken and twirl it back and forth so as to twist your forearm. Do this about 20 times on each arm and you should be fine.

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/26/04 07:15 AM

take a 3 day break plus 2 weekend days take 1 aspirin every 6 hours, and put a warm soaked towel and do movements ver slowly every 6 hours and you be like new in no time..

(any questions im studiyng medicine but my english is very bad im from mexico)

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 12/26/04 09:20 AM

wrist stretching will help aleviate the soreness. try asking you sensei if your technique is incorrect that could be one reason
it hurts. if your swings are good, then your just not used to swinging a sword just yet. take abit more time to strengthen your arms and wrists. and like they said you aint feeling nothing yet, wait till sparring or exhibitions, thats when things will begin to really hurt

Re: Forarm hurts a lot? Is that normal? - 01/01/05 12:41 AM

kendo dose hurt like a lot of contact MA how ever i train a diffrent MA befor kendo that dose it 4 me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]