How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd)

Posted by: Anonymous

How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 10/30/04 01:21 AM

I'm not sure if that is the right name, but I would like to know where I can learn to use one...it's like a spear but it has a one sided curved blade...though I bet you already knew that...
Thx,
-BCM

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 10/30/04 01:38 AM

I believe you mean the Kwan Do. This is a chinese halberd type weapon. I do not practice this weapon but I do practice the Naginata, the japanese equivalent. Their techniques are similar. If you wish to learn the Kwan Do you might want to study Kung Fu. The japanese naginata is a more rare school, but if you ask around in this forum you might find a school in your area.

C. Roman

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 10/30/04 01:57 AM

Yes, you are right. My old girlfriend's dad ran a martial art store, and she told me the name...I always thought she said GUAN but it was KWAN...ok well thx anyway...I can't really afford lessons so if you know anywhere online I could learn...

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 11/11/04 11:09 AM

I teach the Kwan Dao in my weapons program. If you are skilled with a staff, then you should be able to pick up the feel of a polearm in no time. Start out practicing with a staff, and keep a bearing of the "valid point." You will be doing a lot more thrusting than you would with a staff, so get used to straight line attacks as well as circular ones. Then once you are skilled enough, bring the live weapon into the situation. You will save yourself counless injuries, lol. And remember, when learning weapons, take it slow and you won't hurt yourself or anyone else. Peace out.

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 11/13/04 07:09 AM

SifuSkyler, did you draw the comics on your mainpage? If so they are done really well!

The Kwan Do was used by the chinese to cut the legs off horses to bring the enemy down to their level.

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 11/14/04 11:17 AM

No, those were drawn by my Partner, Wes Huffor. I'm the design coordinator for them. I'm a graphic artist, so I do stuff like logos, lettering, and panel layouts. I also do a lot of the scripting on the books. Here is a link to our parent company, if you go to the forums, you can see some of my work in the artwork section.
www.galacticcomics.cjb.net

As far as the Kwan goes, I prefer the shorter "Fighting Kwan." It is a little more versatile.

[This message has been edited by SifuSkyler (edited 11-14-2004).]

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 03/02/05 01:43 PM

I believe you mean the Kwan Do.

Well, there is nothing wrong with saying Guan Da[o] as well. The Kwan/Guan Dao was invented (I'm not sure if this is true, but he is credited with it) by the God of War Kwan/Guan Yu (Style Yunchang; the Kwan and Guan differ on how one translates the Pinyin), during the turbulent years of the Three Kingdoms Period after the decline/fall of the Han Dynasty. The name of the weapon has been interpreted as Guan's/Kwan's Sword. So Guan Dao wouldnt be an incorrect interpretation of the name of the weapon.

On another note, the Guan Dao is a very heavy weapon, and it takes a lot of strength for one to wield efficiently. Contrary to one who posted earlier, the Guan Dao is not used for stabbing as much as it is used for slashing and cutting. It is incorporated excessively in most Kung Fu styles.

Re: How to use(I think it was called) a guan do(a chinese halberd) - 03/02/05 06:16 PM

Hi, it`s just me

in Samuarai-Bujutsu we use the Naginata.
I have a short Kwan Dao, but even that small one I would not (do absolutely not know how it`s used traditionally) use like a Naginata because the Kwan Dao is much heavier.

Instead I would wield it more like the Bisentoh (the great, heavy battlefield version of the Naginata) With such a weight you have to move very well the body to not get totally exhausted that soon; for that reason it`s especially important that every movement is made with the whole body, not just the arms.
I bought the Kwan Dao to make a Bisentoh out of it just by applying a longer staff, rest is exact the same. As far as I`m concerned with that theme, the Bisentoh was "imported" from China to Japan.

The Naginata is used primarily for cutting, not stabbing because of its bended blade (that would be the use of the Yari, which has a straight tip and therefore was less used for cuts).
Naginata and Yari were very common weapons of the japanese knights, the Samurai.