Pa qua broadsword

Posted by: Anonymous

Pa qua broadsword - 09/17/04 03:17 PM

Anyone ever use a Pa qua broad sword before?

Are they hard to use?

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 09/30/04 05:14 PM

I haven't actually used one, but my dojo had a seminar on it a couple of weeks ago. A few weeks before the seminar, our Elder Master came in to talk to our IMA class and brought his broadsword. I'm 5'1" and the sword came up to my chin. I think it's 40" of blade and 8" of hilt. Anyway, my housemate took the seminar and said it's a weapon you use your entire body to move. I imagine it would take the whole body since I could barely lift the thing!
Hope this helps. . .

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/01/04 07:06 AM

Coxne,

What exactly is a "Pa qua broadsword"? I assume by "broadsword" that it is a dao (saber) of some kind?

Crustacean,

I personally have to wonder about this sword, since no sword actually meant for fighting should feel that heavy. Are you accustomed to using swords? Was the weapon in question a replica, or an original? I ask this because many modern replicas are frankly too heavy, and often poorly balanced.

Peace,

A_M_P

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/01/04 09:38 AM

I'm accustomed to the traditional T'ai chi sword. The broadsword I held was very heavy, but it was a modern replica, so I agree that the balance is undoubtedly off. I'll ask my teacher about the original use of the sword and let you know what he says.

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/05/04 12:17 PM

I asked my teacher about the broadsword, and he said it's supposed to be overly large and heavy so if someone else took your sword, they wouldn't really know how to use it and it would be easy to get away from them. He also said it doubles as a long and short weapon, depending on how it's gripped. I've never actually used one, and this is all information given to me by my teacher who recently took a seminar from our Grandmaster on the form.
Thanks.

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/06/04 02:07 PM

http://www.chiflow.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/PaKuaDaoAs.jpg

example picture of one.

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/06/04 06:07 PM

This braodsword terminology is a pain in the butt. A braodsword should be a Gim right? No a Braodsword is a Saber, because it is wide.

A Gim would be called a braodsword by Europeans.

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/07/04 10:34 PM

Crustacean,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crustacean:
I asked my teacher about the broadsword, and he said it's supposed to be overly large and heavy so if someone else took your sword, they wouldn't really know how to use it and it would be easy to get away from them.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect to your teacher, that explanation sounds... questionable.

Peace,

A_M_P

Re: Pa qua broadsword - 10/07/04 10:40 PM

Mark Hill,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Hill:
This braodsword terminology is a pain in the butt. A braodsword should be a Gim right? No a Braodsword is a Saber, because it is wide.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's a saber because it's single-edged.

[QUOTE]A Gim would be called a braodsword by Europeans.[/QUOTE]

Possibly.

The term "broadsword" isn't commonly seen in European circles until the 18th century, though there are some notable exceptions--Alonzo de Chaves, for example, described the "broad swords" used by the marines of his day in the early 16th century (c. 1530), and the famous conquistadore, Bernal Diaz del Castillo (who fought alongside Cortez), described the maquahuitl sword-clubs of the Aztecs as "dreadful broadswords".

Peace,

A_M_P