Japanese sword.

Posted by: Anonymous

Japanese sword. - 07/20/04 01:31 PM

www.iaitoshop.com
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Japanese sword. - 07/20/04 11:05 PM

Interesting. The site implies that the iaito listed for sale are made by the owner of the shop, and yet the iaito appear to be exactly the same as the ones available at Tozando( http://www.tozando.com ).

The description of the "Katana for Tameshigiri" implies that they are made in a Japanese forge. The forge of our poster to be exact. They are made of Swedish Powdered Steel however which makes it clear that they are not Japanese in origin as that would be an illegal material in Japan. I think the rather cheap prices make it even more clear these are not coming from Japan. So I take it these swords are made in China, or perhaps Thailand?

I checked over at http://www.e-budo.com and http://www.swordforum.com for reviews, but could not find any. Is this a new shop?

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 07-20-2004).]

Re: Japanese sword. - 07/21/04 02:28 PM

I've posted a request for reviews over at e-budo.
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthre...7982#post307982

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/15/04 10:24 AM

where can you actually order a sword from japan in the United States, I have spent lots of time looking online and to no avail.

Also on ebay if you do a search for japan sword, it brings up several hits for WWII japan sword and these swords are very cheap. What is wrong with these and why so cheap.

How can you tell if a sword is a rip off or an original handmade japanese sword.

And last but not least does anyone know a training school in Maine?

Sorry about all the questions but i am new at this

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/16/04 12:16 PM

Some advice, is you are looking for a good japanese sword, make sure the blade has the makers signature on it(steel underneath the handle), and secondly, if the handle or sheath has any fancy schmancy designs, such as a dragon, do not buy it

-HK

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/17/04 01:04 PM

Looking for a school in Maine, Huard's Ju-Juistu and Karate is the best place to train. www.huards.com

They practice Chanbara which is full contact wepons fighting. www.amglefire.com/sports/chanbara www.samuraisports.com

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/17/04 01:10 PM

sorry, typo Its anglefire.com/sports/chanbara

I think this www.iaitoshop.com is a new shop.
However the iaito look identical to the meirin sangyo iaito offerd at bugei trading company www.bugei.com
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/17/04 04:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neo_ryu:
Looking for a school in Maine, Huard's Ju-Juistu and Karate is the best place to train. www.huards.com

They practice Chanbara which is full contact wepons fighting. www.amglefire.com/sports/chanbara www.samuraisports.com
[/QUOTE]

Chanbara has nothing to do with full contact weapons training. It is two people waving sticks of foam at each other. I'd let my 5 year old play in the garden with his friends with them, but that's about as usefull as they get.

Suggesting that they are anything other than a toy introduced to entertain kids in a McDojo is irresponsible.

Pathetic.

JohnL

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/18/04 07:19 AM

John L it seems you have forgotten two very important things. As a practitioner of the arts I would have expected them.
1. Manners
2. respect

Chanbara is everything to do with fill contact. If you really knew anything about it then you may have something usefull to say.

You would know that it is used in conjuction with iai-styles and cutting (with practical weapons)

if you let your 5 year old play with them, thats great. Instill a common intrest between the two of you. just make sure you teach him/her the difference between wild flailing and strong technique.

If you really want to know what pathetic is. Its some one how thinks they know everything there is to know about swords and sword fighting. being that limited is a good quick way to get hurt. THAT is whats irresponsible.

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/18/04 07:29 AM

Hi Neo_ryu:

As I have amazingly little respect for people who put forward a foam stick and then proclaim it's a full contact training tool I don't see the need to be overly polite.

In a school I trained at the guy was introducing Chanbara exactly as you say. It was the biggest joke I'd ever seen. The weapon(!!!!!!) has no weight to it, without a solid weapon you cannot move it effectively in either attack or defense, and it creates no good technique. As it is so different in weight and movement charactaristics, it has no benefit in for when you pick up a real sword. As such I consider chanbara a plaything for kids.

The people that put it fowarad are charlatans.

JohnL

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/18/04 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by giantanakim:
where can you actually order a sword from japan in the United States, I have spent lots of time looking online and to no avail.

Also on ebay if you do a search for japan sword, it brings up several hits for WWII japan sword and these swords are very cheap. What is wrong with these and why so cheap.

How can you tell if a sword is a rip off or an original handmade japanese sword.

And last but not least does anyone know a training school in Maine?

Sorry about all the questions but i am new at this
[/QUOTE]

What precisely are you looking for in a handmade sword from Japan? Are you looking for an iaito(dull practice sword) or a shinken(sharp steel blade)?

You can order both through http://www.swordstore.com The Japanese smithed shinken are gonna set you back a good $5000 or so. You REALLY should find instruction before seeking a weapon. Different styles have different preferences with regards to weapon length, weight, geometry... etc. Before dropping five grand on a sword, you should probably be sure you're getting the right one.

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/18/04 09:07 AM

JohnL,

What sword art do you train in and how does your training execute kumitachi?

Regards,
WalT

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/18/04 12:12 PM

I can't speak for the way John's group does kumitachi, but within the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, kumitachi is typically done with bokuto and occasionally demonstrated by the truly advanced practioners using shinken.

Bokuto are probably the most common means of performing kumitachi within most koryu. A few like Yagyu Shinkage Ryu also use fukuro shinai and a few others use shinai(sometimes called wacky smacks).

No koryu jsa use chanbara weapons as a regular part of their training curriculum.

[This message has been edited by Charles Mahan (edited 08-18-2004).]

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/19/04 04:41 PM

My sword art is modern fencing (foil) and kumitachi doesn't have a role, unless you consider an individual lesson with your instructor as kumitachi.

While I understand that this is not based on the use of the katana the principles are exactly the same.

If I waved a foam stick around in a fencing club I would be laughed out of town. The same should be done wherever this inane idea emanated from.

JohnL

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/20/04 05:51 PM

I was actually a little interested in both, I have been in martial arts about 4 years now and I am interested in leaning kendo, however there are no schools around that are registered for that. So I am looking for a practice sword, but I am also looking at collecting, I am not afraid to invest the money to have quality swords in my collection, which is why i am asking about ordering swords from japan. I was also wondering about Paul Chen swords, I have heard good things and bad things about his swords and I was interested in getting some info mostly about the practical katana plus at this point, and possibly some of his more expensive swords later on. I just don't know how the quality is on these.

Re: Japanese sword. - 08/20/04 08:25 PM

You might want to consider collecting the swords available at the domestic sword shows. Almost certainly a better selection of affordable collection worthy blades.