Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons?

Posted by: Anonymous

Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/15/04 09:08 AM

Ive been wanting to learn this ever since I have memory, but I never got the chance, if someone can help me somehow I would really apreciate it.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/15/04 01:20 PM

You need to visit the different schools in your area, if there are any. It's seem there few and far between anymore. Watch the class and talk with the the Sensei . It might be what your looking for and then after you watch a few classes make a decission. There are a number of websites that sell DVD and Tapes to get you going too. I'm not saying that they are a substitute for a Dojo but they can acclimate you to the ettiquet and terminology.....good luck.

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-15-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/15/04 02:25 PM

Forgot, buy a Shinai, it's the bamboo training sword you see the guys practice with at Kendo schools. They come in four different lengths and are not very expensive. You can pick one up at any MA store or website.(completely legal)At least you can get the feel of one. Then when you start at your Dojo your Sensei can teach you the correct art.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/16/04 10:33 AM

Pretty much your first step should be to find out what's available in your area. I would then visit the dojos, and do what research you can to validate them as legitimate training halls. There's a whole lot of McDojo crap scattered around the country.

Post here and on http://www.swordforum.com with instructor names and what details you have gathered and look for feedback.

If you're having trouble locating someone in your area via the phonebook and internet searches, try posting both here and at Sword Forum with a request for aid and your location.
Posted by: jimp1969

Re: Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/23/04 07:50 AM

If you are learing Iaido - wouldn't recommend a shinai - would recommend a bokken (wooden sword) or an Iaito (peactise iaido sword).

A shinai is a bamboo weapon for Kendo - not Iai.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Whats the first thing I have to do to start katana lessons? - 06/23/04 11:09 AM

I suggest that you not buy any equipment or weapons until you find a teacher. Then ask the teacher what you should get. You may be using a bokken instead of a shinai. You may also be using an iaito instead of a shinken. Your instructor will teach you how to select the best.

Where are you located?