Sword Practice

Posted by: Kyoku

Sword Practice - 06/07/04 11:41 PM

I already own a knockoff Katana, but it is both beautiful and dangerous, and as such I dont really want to be practicing with it for my own and others safety. So today I will be buying my first Bokken from my Dojo to practice with. Although we arnt starting on Bokken for another month or so, I still want to get in some exercising and conditioning before I start. What do you guys do to keep your shoulders and arms in good condition? I have toyed around with a broomstick before, and it didnt take long for me to wear myself out. Any suggestions?
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Sword Practice - 06/08/04 12:03 PM

if your bokken is strong enough hit it off a tree. If that doesn't work practice a few moves until you feel strong enough to try a tree again. A good way to make your arms strong is practice holding your bokken in one hand and do some moves.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Sword Practice - 06/08/04 03:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyoku:
I already own a knockoff Katana, but it is both beautiful and dangerous, and as such I dont really want to be practicing with it for my own and others safety. So today I will be buying my first Bokken from my Dojo to practice with. Although we arnt starting on Bokken for another month or so, I still want to get in some exercising and conditioning before I start. What do you guys do to keep your shoulders and arms in good condition? I have toyed around with a broomstick before, and it didnt take long for me to wear myself out. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The bokken will give you plenty of exercise and keep your strength, keep one at the Dojo and one at home. Don't smash Mom's lamps. Do your strenghing exercises at home and your regular practice at the Dojo. Buy good quality "oak" bokkens, they will give you a better feel of wieght and help with your strength.

Re: Sword Practice - 06/09/04 12:44 AM

While I'm slightly worried about the tree aswell as the bokken, I've been using my boxing bag and just swinging it around and striking the boxing bag for a while in each hand. Sound good?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Sword Practice - 06/09/04 12:54 AM

Ask your instructor. He/she will know the best practice for you till you actually move on. There is no sense in practicing something you heard about here if it counters what you will be learning in your dojo. The best thing for you to work on right now would be your grip and stance. Don't worry about it too much. Just like when you started the martial arts and found out you were using muscles your not used to this will be the same. Give it time and you will become acclimated to it just like any other training. Proper etiquette and terminology are something you can work on for the time being as well.

Re: Sword Practice - 06/10/04 01:04 AM

I asked my Sensei today before I blew my knee, and since only my friend and I are the only two who go to the mid day sessions at the Dojo, he took the time to show me a few cuts and basic theories of cutting with the bokken, aswell as a basic warm up pattern that repeats itself constantly until ended. Unfortunatly I have no-one to practice is with. Regardless, using it myself will help with the strengthening. Thanks guys.