Is it possible?

Posted by: Anonymous

Is it possible? - 05/30/04 12:57 AM

hello this is a place to ask questions about anything you where wondering about. for example, im wondering if it was possible to cut through a tree or some kind of wooden pole,not a big, with one strong swift swing.
Posted by: javaman

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 01:27 AM

no, it is not possible, that is some crap that comes out of movies and comic books.

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 03:37 PM

relax man you seem like your gunna try it out on me and to be honest iv tried it but when i swung it sank about an inch into it and then stuck.
Posted by: javaman

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 04:10 PM

sorry there friend, didn't mean to seem rude, but I just get a little sick of people who seem to confuse japanese swords with lightsabers, just kidding.
Man, having a lightsaber would be cool though [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 06:00 PM

np i get like too sometimes. a lightsaber would be nice. and i keep being told you can do it then i keep getting told you cant so im comfused.

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 07:08 PM

i find it hard to believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE to not be able to cut through wood with the correct application of strength and the right angle. i mean cmon, one of my friends [adept at MA] took a 6 inch thick piece of tree, and chopped it clean through with only his hand. i think it is definetly possible to slice through something. maybe not 6 inches thick, but definetly something wooden.

~unknown qing
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 08:02 PM

It depends on the kind of wood your trying to cut, how thick it is and what your using to cut it. There is a big difference in cutting and breaking wood. Regardless of if it can be done or not, it's just not good for the blade. If you insist on cutting things, and i HIGHLY discourage trying to cut or even practice with any live blade especially one of 440 steele or stainless steele, Get some tameshigiri mats. They are made just for cutting and testing blades. Again i have to say stick with using a bokken, it's much safer. Trying to cut or practice with a 440 or stainless steele blade can cause a lot of problems. They can break or come loose from the handle even when only practicing forms.

Bugei sells tameshigiri mats at a reasonable price and will ship them to you. http://bugei.com/subcategory_19.htm

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 09:28 PM

i dont really worry about the blade to much because they are just badly made swords to begin with.as as for the cutting breaking thing I ( who has never had ANY traing in my life with a sword) can cut thru a small peice of wood not a 2X4 just a small peice of wood.

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 10:15 PM

Like i said. the type of wood and the size of the wood makes the difference. Even a cheap, badly made sword can cause you a lot of damage. I would much rather hear you are trying to cut this stuff with a quality sword, at least then the main problem you will have is wasting your money by ruining the blade. There is still the fact of injury regardless of if the blade is of high quality or cheap crap.

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 10:18 PM

iv already been run-thru with a sword/knife shot at, been shot, and i can handle pain. but as far as the sword breaking i dont think im hurting it to bad and if it breaks then my fault/problem ( no disrespect ment and not meaning to sound like a prick). but thank your for your concern

Re: Is it possible? - 05/31/04 10:31 PM

How did you manage to get "run-thru" with a sword? Here is a video clip of a guy on a home shopping station with one of those cheap swords. http://www.media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=katanaslip.mpg

I'm really not as concerned about you getting hurt, more the people that may be with in a few feet like friends. The way i see it, if your doing something stupid with any kind of weapon i'm not going to have any pitty on you.

Re: Is it possible? - 06/01/04 12:06 AM

well i got "run-thru" meaning i got stabbed by a sword cuz my GF's "friend" was harassing her when we went to hang out and when i told him to stop he got hella piss, we ended up fighting and he reached onto his bed grabbed what ever he could find which turned out to be his tanto ( i think it was a tanto)and stabbed me, later once i spoke to him, im not one to keep a grudge me being a nice guy, he thought he thought it was sheathed and he just ment to push me back. and i make sure no1s around me and as for the pitty bit thanx. i get to much of that anyway since the house burn down lol. but it not like i go around trying to cut down trees i just kinda act like im going to cut it then slow down a lot be for i hit it.

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 07:51 AM

Yes its posible master swords men cut threw these wiered looking wooden pole things with there katana's in demonstration's i have a video of one guy doing it on my computer its pretty cool but i wouldent sugest trying it remember these are black belt's and they have very strong swords and we all know what happens if you have a cheap piece of crap sword and try to hit somthing if you watched that video of a guy on a shoping channel break one and then get stabed by the broken tip.

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 10:14 AM

Define pole. If you mean a walking stick, yes, if you have a good angle and a good cut. If you mean a telephone pole, no. Swords are made for cutting soft things like flesh and bone, not hard things like wood or steel.
Posted by: Charles Mahan

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lycao:
Yes its posible master swords men cut threw these wiered looking wooden pole things with there katana's in demonstration's i have a video of one guy doing it on my computer its pretty cool ...B][/QUOTE]

I think maybve what you saw was someone performing tameshigiri on a mat. It wasn't a wooden pole. If you've seen video of someone cutting a wooden pole much thicker than a couple of inches wide, I'd very much be interested in seeing it.

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 01:06 PM

If you want to chop wood, get an axe, if you want to learn sword, learn sword. Simple really [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 01:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo:
hello this is a place to ask questions about anything you where wondering about. for example, im wondering if it was possible to cut through a tree or some kind of wooden pole,not a big, with one strong swift swing.[/QUOTE]

It maby posible dapending on the with...i have cut throgh a red wood staf and a skiny tree with a sword my friend made me.

Re: Is it possible? - 03/01/05 09:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cord:
If you want to chop wood, get an axe, if you want to learn sword, learn sword. Simple really [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm all behind you on this one [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] I mean who the heck would wanna hack down a tree anyway?

Re: Is it possible? - 03/02/05 08:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles Mahan:
I think maybve what you saw was someone performing tameshigiri on a mat. It wasn't a wooden pole. If you've seen video of someone cutting a wooden pole much thicker than a couple of inches wide, I'd very much be interested in seeing it.[/QUOTE]

Dont know it looked like it was wraped in somthing it was realy cool though.

Re: Is it possible? - 03/03/05 08:28 AM

There are some videos at http://www.bugei.com that depict some tameshigir guys cutting big mats. If you don't know what you're looking at it could easily be mistaken for someone cutting a big pole of some kind on the grainy video. They are in fact matts that have been rolled up and tied off with string. Is this what you saw?
Posted by: schanne

Re: Is it possible? - 03/03/05 10:37 AM

I have seen cutts preformed on bamboo trees/poles many times.... maybe that is what your talking about? Haven't seen anyone try to cut a 2x4 or other wooden objects but I'm almost positive there have been people that have walked out their back doors and tried to prun a tree or two with their new P. Chen sword. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Is it possible? - 03/09/05 04:47 AM

hi... im just wondering if a samurai can really move that fast? we've seen kenshin himura and his samurai folks move like they were the same as the wind... im just curious... ^_^x
Posted by: cxt

Re: Is it possible? - 03/09/05 07:54 AM

HIT

You know I had this little rant all ready to go.

But why bother?

No, most of the stuff in anime/cartoons can't be done in "real" life.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 03-09-2005).]

Re: Is it possible? - 03/09/05 08:07 AM

A little critical thinking folks. It's not to much to ask. Watch the olympics. You'll get to see some of the fastest people ever to walk the earth.