Katana sheath

Posted by: martial_life

Katana sheath - 06/13/03 02:47 PM

I will soon have a katana(a hip injury leaves weapons arts such as sword and staff the few ways i can still train) to begin training with. There are no dojos around here that train in the arts of the sword, so i will do my best to discreetly train myself, out of hobby and love for the MA way of life. (I don't expect to become a master, and i will not falsely call meself an achknowledged person with the sword, though i am familiar with knives).
I am wondering if anyone will please tell me how i can tie the katana to my waist and back, for carry. Any replies will be very appreciated.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Katana sheath - 06/15/03 07:58 AM

Don't know about the back. I think they used different hardware on the sword, because this carry was mostly for the battlefield. As far as the hip carry, first, put on your obi (belt). Then, slide your sheath (edge up)into the belt, under one turn of the belt and over the other. Your sageo (strings) should come to just above the belt. Then, pull them down, back, up between the sheath and your body, over the top of the sheath, and then pull them down between the body and sheath. (basically just wrapping around in a counterclockwise circle. If you want it to be extra secure, you can do another turn. Every ryu probably has their own method of wearing the sword, but this one works fine. Hope it helps!