Video training

Posted by: Malkosha

Video training - 04/30/03 02:23 PM

I’ve always been interested in the Sword Arts and would love to learn the discipline. However, the closest place to learn from an instructor would most likely require a plane flight from where I live. In fact, if I wasn’t married with one more child to raise (the other three are older and have moved out … and back in … then out again … well you get the idea.) I would move to where I could learn, but as of now this is impossible.

Keeping in mind that I know little of the sword arts, Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc, but have extensive Martial Arts training, would it be possible to learn from a video? I question the lack of personal instruction in the Martial Arts … I know I needed it … but I was curious as to what some of you might think. The first thought that comes to my head is “its better than nothing” but I also question the development of bad habits that over time can be hard to break without close supervision.

Any ideas? Thank you. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Posted by: Myoubi

Re: Video training - 05/02/03 09:47 PM

Ok now dont listen to me and take me to seriously because I have pravticly no marcial arts training. this is mostly my opinion. Now you said you wanted to learn from a video*ahem*bad idea if you ask me. Its a bad idea because i dont think you would get the proper training you could get in a real dojo, and if you do something wrong, who is going to correct you? I have plenty more reasons but i dont think any one would take the time to read through an hour of reasons of why not to train from a video [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]. Well I guess it depends on what you think......ah well.

Myoubi
Posted by: LJL1734

Re: Video training - 05/16/03 07:28 AM

humm.. due to your location problem I would say .. find a sensei to go to at least oince a month if you can and practice practice practice. The video may be a way of re-enforcing wht you learn. But I have to agree that if your sensei isn't around you're only practicing mistakes. As you know, so much of what we do is muscle memory. What good would it be if oyur muscles remember incorrectly. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I would check out the seminar circut. I train twice a week in Iaido (I'm very Lucky) but I also try to go to seminars as much as possible. Students in my class drive four hours (From NJ to cambridge MA) on once or twice a month to train with our Sensei's Sensei. However this is difficult for me as I have a baby on the way also.

I would say do what you can when you can and everyhting will fall into place.

Best of luck in your search.
Posted by: Jake McKee

Re: Video training - 07/18/03 11:24 PM

Hi Malkosha,

My take on video training is that it's about the same as watching a class. It's not interactive, but you can get teaching from the best in the world, for a fraction of the cost of a seminar. Plus, you can watch it over and over.

That being said, videos are much more beneficial if you have some background in the art or use them as an introduction.

Oh, and please be careful of sharpened blades. Read this
for some chilling stories of people who weren't careful enough!

Let me know if you'd like some suggestions on training videos.

Good training!

Jake McKee
www.budovideos.com

[This message has been edited by Jake McKee (edited 07-18-2003).]