Training help

Posted by: justin

Training help - 04/24/03 05:13 PM

I live In Utah and there are no dojos close.
i would use any help for Kendo training.
i already have bamboo sword just need training.
any suggestions
Posted by: Judokid

Re: Training help - 10/30/03 06:13 PM

Try buying a video. Also, are you sure that there are no dojos?? Try searching for dojos, and Kendo websites, which should have some techniques
Posted by: bb39

Re: Training help - 11/17/03 06:21 PM

i actually think that learning from a book or video, while it may be perfectly good i dont really know, it's still not as good as learning from a real person. as for the school, i think you should look online some more. i did some looking around and found 2 schools, one in Moab and one in SLC. if you dont live near either of these locations then you are right, there aren't any kendo schools near you. and i heard in an earlier post that some kid said there was a really good school in japan. The school was called Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho he also said it cost a lot of money (i may have misread the post) but otherwise if you have enough money than it could be great for you to go to japan and study at one of the best schools in the world.
Posted by: DougP

Re: Training help - 11/29/03 04:16 PM

Books and videos are a great help if you don't have an instructor right away, but eventually you'll want to find a teacher- even if it is years from now. I was in a similiar situation when I sparked an interest in Iaido. There were no teachers, but I bought a few good books and started practicing anyway. Now that I am under a Sensei, I am glad I read the books because I was very familiar with most of the terms encountered in the art. It let me progress quickly. My advice would be if you bo use books or videos, PAY ATTENTION to the small details and omit nothing. If you do this, you'll have less to "unlearn" later. Best of luck!