Iaido movements speed

Posted by: TooNice

Iaido movements speed - 04/14/14 01:47 PM

Hello everyone.

I am about to join my universities' Iaido club (I live in Japan). Having seen demonstrations several times and tried it once before, I know what to expect, and have no doubt that I will appreciate the experience. Still, there is one thing that I have been wondering about Iaido: why are the transitions between movements relatively slow. The swings/thrusts are done at full speed, but in videos I have seen of high level practitioners, transitions are still done in clearly visible steps.

Now I know that Iaido is no spectator sport and need to be flashy. And I appreciate the precision that goes with every move. But I can't help but wonder if there aren't other practical reason, that I am missing. Perhaps the movements are so deceptively difficult that it takes a lot of effort to get the form correctly even at any level? Or perhaps experts do practice at a higher speed and demonstrations are purposely slowed down? Or perhaps it depends on the style?

Or is it a simple case of that is just how the art is.

Thanks smile
Posted by: mike2323

Re: Iaido movements speed - 04/30/14 10:27 AM

I may be way off but it's my belief that Iai is more meditative than physical. It's not about killing you opponent or being quick on the draw.
Posted by: log1call

Re: Iaido movements speed - 06/26/14 06:12 PM

Hi.
I'd imagine it's because the prime objective is grace, and whilst it's easy to swing a sword smoothly at speed, it's far harder to move it gracefully and slowly. The draw and actual cuts they make aren't at full speed by any means, and the transitions are proportionally slowed.

Apart from the satisfaction of being able to do it slowly and smoothly, and with grace and balance, it must make the judging a lot easier.