why is Kendo called a sword art?

Posted by: iaibear

why is Kendo called a sword art? - 02/12/13 11:24 PM

Kendo is a challenging sport where the competitors use weapons called shinai.
I have heard that Kendoka have to be taught in separate classes how to actually cut with a bladed weapon.

From what I have seen, shinai, as used in Kendo, strike in ways that could be done with a stick or ax handle. The sport challenge is in the finesse in attacking and countering the opponents strike. Everything depends on the blow, because there is no "cut".
Posted by: pgsmith

Re: why is Kendo called a sword art? - 04/16/13 05:33 PM

Because kendo is based on the Japanese sword arts. It is an excellent vehicle for recognizing, creating, and taking advantage of openings in your opponent's defenses. This is what it was developed for.

Nakamura Taisaburo spoke of kendo as one leg of the tripod. He said that one had to do kendo, iaido, and tameshigiri to become a complete swordsman. I don't know that I entirely agree with him, but that's why kendo is still called a sword art.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: why is Kendo called a sword art? - 04/17/13 08:56 AM

Originally Posted By: pgsmith
Because kendo is based on the Japanese sword arts. It is an excellent vehicle for recognizing, creating, and taking advantage of openings in your opponent's defenses. This is what it was developed for.

Nakamura Taisaburo spoke of kendo as one leg of the tripod. He said that one had to do kendo, iaido, and tameshigiri to become a complete swordsman. I don't know that I entirely agree with him, but that's why kendo is still called a sword art.

Granted, kendo shares a grand history.

Still, I am curious what constitutes "taking advantage of openings". Is it with a "touch" or "thrust" (as in foil fencing), a blow, or something else? With all respect, I find it hard to believe a "cut". Sorry.
Posted by: THEFOREVERMAN

Re: why is Kendo called a sword art? - 02/25/14 01:36 PM

It has a lot here already. But I'm going to share some anyways, kendo is the way of the sword, but now it is used with bokkens and bamboo swords. They sell books on these. 'Professionally' they use it in competition. That isn't the Way though, they do this because people make a lot of money from these gatherings. The real kendo, the ancient way, is for self improvement and mind/body. Wasn't used against others for competition. Then right after that(the time of the sword) they used it to increase swordsmanship.