Katana sword makers

Posted by: Darkcreed

Katana sword makers - 08/02/12 02:35 PM

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to this forum and would like some assistance. I have studied with Japanese swords for several years, moved to new location. Now I’m ready to do an investment in some swords. I seek real Katana, Wakizashi swords to include a set of Tanto’s. The swords I practiced with were the regular low budget or cheap ones and belong to someone else. I seek a set of swords that are hard and flexible for me to practice, use cutting bamboo, and the regular demo mats, another set for display.
I was looking around on the net on custom swords in Japan, Paul Chen, Gassan Sadatoshi, and here in the US Gold Mountain Forge, Nihonto.Us. I first looked at Cold Steel and their demo videos however; I was wandering if there are any other good handmade forge sword makers in the US that are great? Yes, I seek over $1k price range per sword. Any information would be appreciated.

smile
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Katana sword makers - 08/13/12 03:59 PM

I admire you enthusiasm. I caution patience. There are many sword makers of varying quality out there.

My favorite was Bob Engnath, of Blades and Stuff. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago.

I had acquired a cheap non-cutting practice sword which had snapped in front of the tsuba early on, as the cheap ones have a way of doing. All the "furniture" was decent. He made me a forged blade that fit it. All it needed was polishing. (Which is another story.)